Protein Powder

Options
aam_56
aam_56 Posts: 5 Member
I’m looking for a new kind of protein powder as I do not like the taste of my current one. What is your favorite protein powder?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Taste is a pretty subjective thing.

I buy store brand (both whey and plant protein powder) from Kroger (Simple Truth is the brand) it's inexpensive and tastes good to me.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,715 Member
    Options
    What kind are you using? Is it whey, plant? My go to is Sunwarrior, Warrior blend. Kepps me full and love it. I also use a natural pea protein by NOW however it is unflavored. Other ones I like are Garden of Life Raw, MRM Veggie Elite
  • aam_56
    Options
    I’m very new to using protein so I just got the equate whey powder at Walmart! It’s fine for baking and mixing with oatmeal, Greek yogurt, etc. but it’s awful just mixed with milk or water. I’m looking for something that tastes a better by itself and thought some more experienced people could help me out :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    I don't really like whey protein powder mixed with just water. I do like plant (vanilla) mixed with just water.

On the flip side, I don't like plant protein powder in my oatmeal or on popcorn, but I do like the whey (vanilla) for those things.

That's why I buy both, depending on what I feel like I'll use one or the other. Smoothies depend on the added fruits as to whether I want whey or plant based.

• aam_56
    Options
    @cmriverside that is good to know! I will get some plant protein powder to try out. Thank you so much!!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    MusclePharm
  • Soon2BSuper
    Soon2BSuper Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    aam_56 wrote: »
    I’m looking for a new kind of protein powder as I do not like the taste of my current one. What is your favorite protein powder?

See if there is a Supplements place near you where you can buy some single serving varieties and see if you find one you like. I personally use either LeanFit or MusclePharm as I get them at Costco which for me is convenience. The Kaizen to me tastes like Drywall Plaster.

Alternately (being Canadian) I've ordered from SupplementsCanada which is a "Popeye's" Distributor and have tried a few of their top rated ones. It's all a matter of personal preference, what you're mixing it with/using it for etc.

The "6-Star" brand at Walmart is actually made by MuscleTech which gets pretty strong reviews for Quality
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Quest salted caramel and PEScience snickerdoodle
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I like non-flavoured whey (my fave is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Unflavored Whey) then I mix it in with anything I want.... chocolate milk, meal shakes, smoothies, cold coffee etc.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I honestly have not found a protein powder I'm in love with and I've been searching for a couple of years😒 the only one that tastes good to me and blends up creamy is slimfast and that's not really classified as protein powder
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I have dairy intolerance, so I usually just take a dairy pill with my whey lol. But, if you are looking for plant, Orgain has a peanut butter protein powder that is heavenly with yogurt.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Finding a protein powder or protein bars you enjoy is usually a hit or miss journey that takes a while. If you can find small taste test packs do that. It's not very fun having to finish a giant container of protein powder, that you don't like.

I get Combat Muscle Pharm , cookies and cream from Costco. Inexpensive with a pretty mild flavor. They changed it recently which was annoying, but I got used to it after a while.

Just be prepared for it to take a while and a few tries, but you'll find one you like eventually.
  • boymom121
    boymom121 Posts: 33 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I’ve recently tried Optimum Nutrition. Found it at Walmart. $20 for a bag. I don’t bake or do anything with my protein, I mainly just drink it. In the mornings I make iced coffee and add the protein powder in. The only flavor I’ve tried is the Double Chocolate or something like that. I like it and easy on my wallet. I would really like to try Bowmar protein but it’s just soooo pricey. And I’ve tried PEScience which gets rave reviews but I haven’t found one I personally like yet. Their vegan like has this weird texture and taste to me. Need to try more samples of theirs.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Quest salted caramel and PEScience snickerdoodle

I agree with Quest and PEScience. Good in shakes or cooking.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Before I purchased a tub, I requested samples from Quest. They sent me several single pouches to try. My favorite was the salted caramel, so I purchased a tub. They have even more flavors now, so maybe I should ask again for samples, lol.
  • justinb_83
    justinb_83 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have been using Fitcrunch (Robert Irvine's) protein powder. As a person who has tried all types of protein powder, this is the best tasting one I have tried. It is very macronutrient balenced and cheaper than store brands.
  • Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I use Vital Proteins Collagen ( Costco) powder in my coffee every morning, no taste, dissolves easily. I also like Orgain, Superfoods Protein powder, works well in smoothies. Also put in my Cottage cheese pancakes I make for my kids.