Shrimp and Grits

Options
JoLeeFA
JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
OK, I know, it is a southern thing.....

Does anyone have a healthy shrimp and grits recipe?

Replies

• Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my LORD that sounds good. My hubby put shrimp and crawfish in his grits the other day. Hammercy. :tongue:
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have a recipe, not sure your idea of healthy though...... Let me find it.
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    What I have always done is stir fry shrimp and green onions in lots of olive oil, add that to grits cooked with lots of cheese and butter. None of that is very bad, by itself... But how does one keep the flavor and reduce the amounts of cheese and butter???
  • MercKlebba
    MercKlebba Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    OMG! I made this two days ago!

It is pretty healthy except for the cream and butter. Sub in skim milk and margarine and you have the healthy version. Instead of serving with cheesy grits try just margarine grits with a light dash of Tony's.

2 Tbs. margarine (this is subbed for butter)
    1 Cup diced trinity (onions, bell pepper, celery)
    1 Tbs. minced garlic
    1 lb, peeled shrimp
    1/2 cup white wine
    2 Tbs. creole seasoning (Tony's, Zatarans, Slap Ya Mama)
    1 quart red gravy (spaghetti sauce)
    1 cup skim milk (this is subbed for heavy cream)

Saute veggies, garlic, and shrimp until veggies are tender and shrimp are starting to curl and turn pink. Add wine. Cook out the wine, which will finish cooking the veggies and shrimp. Add seasoning and red gravy and bring to a simmer. Add milk, return to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over grits prepared to your liking. Garnish with fresh chopped green onion. Enjoy. :)
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I cook it like a southern girl, I am not willing to give up everything =]]

2 cups whole milk
    2 cups chicken broth
    1 cup corn meal
    4 tsp spoons butter
    1/2 - 1 cup shredded cheddar
    1-1.5 lbs shrimp (I use 26-30) DE-VEINED!!
    garlic powder (to taste)
    salt (to taste)
    pepper (to taste)
    fresh basil
    fresh rosemary

Take the liquid and bring to a boil. While this is boiling chop the fresh herbs. Once boiling slowly add the corn meal, salt, pepper, garlic and herbs. cook simmering for 25 minutes stirring continuously. After 25 minutes add in butter and more milk if too thick.

Saute shrimp in butter season with cayenne, salt and garlic.
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    Thanks to you both... will certainly try those!!
  • sherismb
    sherismb Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found this one in Prevention magazine:

Grits

1 c grits (not the quick cooking)
    3 c 1% milk
    1 tbsp unsalted butter

Shrimp

2 tbsp olive oil
    6 slices of Canadian bacon (3 oz.), sliced into 1 1/2" strips
    1 lb lg shrimp, peeled and deveined
    1 med onion, chopped
    1 red bell pepper, chopped
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    1 1/2 tsp chopped fresh thyme or 1/4 tsp dried
    3/4 tsp paprika
    2 tsp all-purpose flour
    1 c low sodium chicken broth
    1/2 c 1% milk

1) Make grits. Bring 2 cups water to a boil in medium saucepan. Gradually add grits, whisking constantly. Add milk, butter, and 1/4 tsp salt and simmer, whisking constantly. Reduce Heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, unitl smooth and creamy, 40 minutes.

2) Prepare shrimp. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in lg. nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook unitl crisp, 4 minutes. Add shrimp and cook until nearly done, 3 minutes. Transfer to plate.

3) Heat remaining 1 tbsp oil in same pan over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, 6 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, paprika, and 1/4 tsp salt and cook, 1 minute. Sprinkle flour over vegetable mixture and stir 1 minute. Add broth and milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook over medium-high heat, strirring, until sauce thickens, 3 minutes.

4) Return shrimp and bacon to pan. Simmer until shrimp is cooked through, 1 minute, Season to taste.

5) Serve grits with the shrimp mixture.

Serves 4.
    510 Calories per serving
    3 g of fiber
    5 g sat fat
    880 mg sodium

Not sure how it tastes because I always ate shrimp and grits full of fat. LOL Try it and let me know how it turns out.
  • MercKlebba
    MercKlebba Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I guess I want to clarify. My recipe is for Shrimp Creole served over grits. My bad. I thought that was kinda the same thing. Lol! Sorry.
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    I guess I want to clarify. My recipe is for Shrimp Creole served over grits. My bad. I thought that was kinda the same thing. Lol! Sorry.

I was raised very near New Orleans. I say that, but it still sounds really really good! Thanks for sharing!
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    Sherismb - - Now that one sounds awesome.. I will need to print this thread and figure out which is "best"
  • Dickersondiva
    Dickersondiva Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just can't do grits without cheese. I'll take the recipe with cheese in it. :)
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Shrimp and grits, sometimes called "breakfast shrimp," tastes great for lunch or dinner. Start with fresh bell pepper and onion, as well as prepeeled and deveined shrimp, to minimize prep time.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 2/3 cup shrimp mixture, 2/3 cup grits, 2 tablespoons cheese, and 2 teaspoons green onions)

Ingredients

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (such as Tabasco)
    1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
    2 bacon slices, chopped
    1 cup frozen chopped onion
    1/4 cup frozen chopped green bell pepper
    1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced garlic
    1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
    1/2 cup chopped green onions, divided
    5 cups water
    1 1/2 cups uncooked quick-cooking grits
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    Preparation

Combine first 3 ingredients; set aside.

Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp mixture, broth, and 1/4 cup green onions; cook 5 minutes or until shrimp are done, stirring frequently.

Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually add grits, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; simmer, covered, for 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally. Stir in butter and salt. Serve shrimp mixture over grits; sprinkle with cheese and remaining green onions.

Nutritional Information
    Amount per serving
    Calories: 408
    Calories from fat: 28%
    Fat: 12.5g
    Saturated fat: 5.6g
    Monounsaturated fat: 4.1g
    Polyunsaturated fat: 1.3g
    Protein: 32.8g
    Carbohydrate: 39.9g
    Fiber: 2g
    Cholesterol: 246mg
    Iron: 5.1mg
    Sodium: 890mg
    Calcium: 154mg
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    So last night I kinda did a combo on several of these recipes!! YUMMY and managed to stick with the meal being in the 440 calorie range!!
  • ncwingnut71
    ncwingnut71 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later