greek yougurt and fruit

Options
eelamme
eelamme Posts: 1,135 Member
Normally for breakfast or my morning snack I endulge in some plain greek yogurt with a cup of fresh fruit. Well, money is tight this week so was thinking of buying the greek yogurt with fruit already in it. I know that fresh fruit is better for you but am hoping, for one week that prepackaged is ok. Any thoughts?

Replies

• jazzkat68
    jazzkat68 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I think that its ok...I absolutely LOVE Greek yogurt!!
  • akunce
    Options
    Sounds good to me!:smile:
  • ashley0616
    ashley0616 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    It's much higher in sugar than the plain. I think the best bet would be to label-shop and see which has the least amount of added sugars.

Also, I don't know if you have a Sams membership but I get a HUGE tub of Chiobani plain 0% fat there and I pay $5. Very cheap and it lasts.
  • razzyplum
    Options
    I LOVE the Chobani yogurt from Costco...it does have a bit of sugar but there's a lot more protein than sugar...and they are delicious!
  • eating4balance
    eating4balance Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    1. I would try buying cheap frozen fruit and blending that in instead, or mixing in some honey
    2. Try to find whichever greek yogurt brand has the least amount of ingredients, calories and sugar for the flavored kind.
  • catelabow
    catelabow Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    The fruit at the bottom is more like jam, it's not equivalent to a whole cup of fresh fruit. But it is tasty.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Get a bag of frozen berries. As everyone stated the Greek yogurt with the fruit in it has a lot of sugar.
  • eelamme
    Options
    The fruit at the bottom is more like jam, it's not equivalent to a whole cup of fresh fruit. But it is tasty.

Am beginning to think, especially after reading this that maybe I should stick to plain and forgo the cup of berries. Guess I could an extra apple a day...just enjoy adding the fresh berries though I'm not a berry fan, especially since I've heard that they are one of the "power foods". Did I just use especially twice. Oui vey!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    umm. you're a trooper, I can't stomach plain greek or plain yogurt for that matter. it's disgusting, but yes fruit already in is okay.
  • eelamme
    Options
    umm. you're a trooper, I can't stomach plain greek or plain yogurt for that matter. it's disgusting, but yes fruit already in is okay.

Can't stomach plain jane yogurt. Am ok with plain Greek yogurt though. I think it is because I find the texture fascinating. Mixing berries in has been tough within itself for I'm not into berries...not even a little, they gross me out. At the same time I know they can be beneficial. Healthiness is hard...lol.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I always buy plain...and either add fruit or honey. When I can't afford the fruit I use the honey...and a jar lasts me for months. I also get it from a local bee keeper and it's helped my allergies a whole lot.
  • eelamme
    Options
    I always buy plain...and either add fruit or honey. When I can't afford the fruit I use the honey...and a jar lasts me for months. I also get it from a local bee keeper and it's helped my allergies a whole lot.

I do like my honey but consider it pure sugar, more or less. Granted, fruit is too. At the same time, I feel there are more benefits to the sugar in berries as opposed to honey.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options

I do like my honey but consider it pure sugar, more or less. Granted, fruit is too. At the same time, I feel there are more benefits to the sugar in berries as opposed to honey.

I use less than 1/2 a teaspoon for a full cup of yogurt. I don't like my foods to be too sweet. Lol.
  • andison
    andison Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the plain and add things to it.

My favorite is sf pudding. I use 3 oz. of yogurt, as much sf pudding to taste, then add a little water to it if you want and mix for consistency.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    It's definitely okay. Sounds more nutritious than a lot of cheap alternatives. Good thinking.