Anti-depressants & weight loss

Options
Is anyone battling to lose whilst on antidepressants?

Replies

• kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    is battling it without being on them.... not as easy either.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    yes, me. But I only started taking them two weeks ago. So dont know how it is going to affect me. And due to the depression I actually took some of the pressure off of myself and relaxed with my food restrictions. Back on the wagon now for almost a week. And this week going to get really serious with it again cuz I am starting to feel better.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    When I went on antidepressants a few years ago I gained about 40 pounds. And even since I've been off of them it's been very hard to lose weight.
  • gfchica
    gfchica Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I've been on them for about 9 months now and just recently got really serious about my weight loss. They don't seem to affect my ability to lose weight and I gained a minimal amount of weight since starting them but I don't think my weight gain was due to the pills. I was having trouble losing weight at first but with a modified version of the south beach diet, along with trying to drink a lot more water and watch my calories, I'm starting to see the scale go down.
  • sorrelduncan
    sorrelduncan Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Wellbutrin is an anti-depressant which is supposedly weight-neutral. I gained on Prozac and lost (only about 10 lbs) on Wellbutrin. But talk to your doctor. The most important thing is getting better. The weight loss can wait.
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor XR and it is known for rapid weight gain which is why my doctor weaned me off of it. That along with memory loss, "brain zaps" (google it) and being a completely unemotional zombie. Never again.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i take Pristiq and i don't think it's hurt my weight loss efforts. in fact, it has actually made me feel well enough to get out of bed and to the gym!
  • LilChickPea
    LilChickPea Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    is battling it without being on them.... not as easy either.

Losing weight is never easy for anyone. However, when you are medications that cause weight gain, no matter how hard you try they can really keep you from losing or make your progress even slower. I am on 6 different medications for my mental disorders and my doctor told me that I would have lost more than I have if I wasn't on my medications. Everyone has a different battle to fight.
  • kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think each and every one of you is already amazing.. Just for admitting you are. Well done... :) Most are too afraid to admit.

My self i found, I felt dead, being on the ones I had received..Im one of the few that... they dont work for.... though i have gained weight through this. Im now in a battle to gain my health. :)
  • Lozzy_82
    Lozzy_82 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I gained a lot on Venlafaxine (Effexor) and am now trying to lose on Fluoxetine (Prozac).
  • AATrz
    AATrz Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2023
    Options
    i almost doubled my weight on Effexor (venlafaxine) in 7 years