Gaining Weight in the Time of COVID

Good morning,

I am living in NYC which as we all know is heavily burdened by the outbreak, making it unclear when gyms will be re-opened. The sense it may not be until June or perhaps even later if other factors aren't optimal.
With that said, I am starting to get antsy. In some ways this quarantine has been great in teaching me how to eat a bit more intuitively, giving me new fitness interests (like dance), and allowing me to develop an overall more enjoyable relationship with physical activities (the gym occasionally has made me feel like it is more a chore/mental health pursuit than it is a true pleasure).
However, I am light at 5'7 and 135lbs (25y/o M). I have tried to gain weight in the past and due to being too diligent with tracking I have been unable to do so. I think at this point I could make weight gain happen. But, with not working out, I am concerned that my weight gain won't be worth it in the end.
So, my question is: will lean muscle weight gain (in combo with some fat) be even possible if I gain a little weight while performing body weight circuit exercises at home and doing dance routines daily? Or is this impossible due to inappropriate stimulus?

Replies

• cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    What’s your training history? What programme did you follow before lock down?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited April 2020

Good Luck!
  • dpr73
    dpr73 Posts: 495 Member
    edited April 2020

It was not necessarily a structured lifting program. But there was progressive overload packed into a Power/Hypertrophy Upper/Lower Type split. I did Squats (x2 per week), Deadlifts, Bench (x2 per week), shoulder press (x2 per week). All heavy weights.
    Squat: 5 for 5 @ 220
    Deadlift: 5 for 5 @ 235
    Bench Press: 5 for 5 at 155
    Shoulder Press: 5 for 5 @ 45

Trained for almost 7 years now consistently, but have been so afraid of running a calorie surplus in the past that I have been unsuccessful on bulks.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    This is a fairly stressful time for many of us, and since you mention you have had issues running surplus in the past I have a feeling this situation would be even more difficult for you. I would focus on trying your best to maintain, get some bodyweight workouts going to maintain (maybe even build a bit) and go from there. No reason to stress yourself out with bulking and gaining at this point. Could you gain muscle with bodyweight workouts? Perhaps, but if you were using actual weights before it will likely be less optimal. So take it easy and do your best.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    dpr73 wrote: »

It was not necessarily a structured lifting program. But there was progressive overload packed into a Power/Hypertrophy Upper/Lower Type split. I did Squats (x2 per week), Deadlifts, Bench (x2 per week), shoulder press (x2 per week). All heavy weights.

Trained for almost 7 years now consistently, but have been so afraid of running a calorie surplus in the past that I have been unsuccessful on bulks.

Ok.

I don’t think it’s the time for you to start a bulk given what you have said about having difficulty gaining previously. If you aren’t following a resistance programme atm it’s likely most of your gains will be fat.

If I were in your position then I would do some serious research into early intermediate hypertrophy programming with RPE built in. Some good places to start are

3D muscle journey
    Barbell medicine
    REnaissance periodisation
    Stronger by science

I think a good use of your time would be to find a programme that you think you would enjoy because building a decent physique is a life long endeavour.

I would wait to start a bulk until gyms reopen, if I were in your position.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Can I ask why you've been afraid of a calorie surplus if your entire goal has been to put on weight?
  • dpr73
    dpr73 wrote: »

Ok.

I don’t think it’s the time for you to start a bulk given what you have said about having difficulty gaining previously. If you aren’t following a resistance programme atm it’s likely most of your gains will be fat.

If I were in your position then I would do some serious research into early intermediate hypertrophy programming with RPE built in. Some good places to start are

3D muscle journey
    Barbell medicine
    REnaissance periodisation
    Stronger by science

I think a good use of your time would be to find a programme that you think you would enjoy because building a decent physique is a life long endeavour.

I would wait to start a bulk until gyms reopen, if I were in your position.

Thanks!
  • dpr73
    atjays wrote: »
    Can I ask why you've been afraid of a calorie surplus if your entire goal has been to put on weight?

I’m a former fat boy (210 at 5’7 about 7 years ago). So after losing the weight I wanted to build muscle but fear running the surplus due to fat gain. And just cannot get over the fear frankly. I am happy with my body and know it could be better but fear the process to doing so versus just keeping status quo. I have steadily restructured this thought process but it has taken time
  • dpr73
    To resurface this conversation, my weight has been trending down and out of my typical maintenance range (133-134 rn and I like to be 135-140).
    Would you all suggest I regain back into range even without the training stimulus? I don’t want to lose muscle mass obviously but if it’s not ideal to gain anything I’m not sure how to proceed here with apparent weight loss (I didn’t lose water I don’t think cause this has been gradual over the past month)