Sports drink for long run?

Options
I’m wondering what long distance runners drink on the run? Due to a heart condition sensitive to electrolyte balance, I don’t just take water with me on long runs, since I need to be sure to replenish electrolytes. I’ve used organic Gatorade, but in looking for something cheaper and lower in sugar, I’ve been experimenting with various homemade sports drinks. I’ve made a couple of recipes, but haven’t tried them on a run yet. For each recipe I basically diluted a 100% fruit juice (pomegranate or orange juice) and added sea salt to about 300 mg.
What do other long distance runners use?

Replies

• Buttermello
    Buttermello Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I generally use nuun tabs because they are convenient
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I will try those for my longest runs where I need to refill my bottle from a water fountain, but I don’t like that they have stevia.
  • huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I use Tailwind. The flavours are really nice and it mixes very well in water.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    For liquid I also use Tailwind. It is less sweet than Gatorade but I don’t know about sugar specifically. It’s also much more expensive - but worth the cost.

If you’re going to mix your own, be aware that salt isn’t the only electrolyte (although it’s a big one). If you have conditions where maintaining electrolyte balance is critical, you may be better off going with a commercial product that will replenish more than just salt.
  • KimiAR
    KimiAR Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Propel packets mix in water and I take electrolyte salt tablets off amazon.
  • lightenup2016
    edited May 2020
    Options
    For liquid I also use Tailwind. It is less sweet than Gatorade but I don’t know about sugar specifically. It’s also much more expensive - but worth the cost.

If you’re going to mix your own, be aware that salt isn’t the only electrolyte (although it’s a big one). If you have conditions where maintaining electrolyte balance is critical, you may be better off going with a commercial product that will replenish more than just salt.

I might contact my doctor to see what’s most important. The drink I tried out today has orange juice, which has potassium and calcium, so with the sodium that I add, the only one really left out is magnesium, which I have on hand but forgot to add.

I will check out Tailwind, but I was also looking to save money, since over the summer I plan to carry a drink with me for most runs.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like propel zero. Either in the bottle or the powder added to your water.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I use tailwind (naked flavor) with base hydro/aminos

It depends on what you are looking for though - calories for running further (then something like tailwind/infinite) or electrolytes for dehydration (then nuun or bade hydro or Gatorade)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    I've been using Precision Hydration for electrolytes (and a separate fuel source if more calories are needed). PH1000 contains sodium, potassuim, calcium and magnesium. Label says 65 calories per packet and 16g of sugar per serving. Its not super sweet. In hot conditions, I'll use PH1500 (1500mg of sodium)

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    For long runs, low sugar is not always good. My goal is to add lots of sugar.

I suggest asking your doctor since you stated you have a heart issue. For me, I use Maurten drinks and gels 90% of the time. I have used Tailwind and even Endurance (especially on trails).
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options

I might contact my doctor to see what’s most important. The drink I tried out today has orange juice, which has potassium and calcium, so with the sodium that I add, the only one really left out is magnesium, which I have on hand but forgot to add.

I will check out Tailwind, but I was also looking to save money, since over the summer I plan to carry a drink with me for most runs.

I'm not sure whom to talk to if this is so important to you as GPs generally have very little knowledge of electrolytes. But potassium for example works together with sodium in maintaining fluid balance and blood pressure. If you get these out of whack then this might be bad for you. For example, if you have more sodium then potassium levels go down and blood pressure up. The other way around is also true. But both are needed.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    gatorade works for me for long runs. other ones lead to digestive issues
    but for anything under 13 miles, i can drink whatever. i like nuun, skratch, tailwind.
    i typically bring water and use gatorade chews.
  • jargill
    jargill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use Tailwind during and and Body Armour Lyte as a recovery drink or also during the run.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I use elete- electrolyte mix in. It has no taste and you just add it to water- I do this and a pinch of salt.
    Sometimes if I feel fancy I will add it to Mio or a Sparkling water.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    jm_1234 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Hammer Nutrition products? They have a few guides to their products and distance fueling.

In the past I've done the "ade" products, water, Hammer, Gu's, pickle juice, and some homemade stuff with chia seeds, salt, lime, etc. but I haven't seriously evaluated them so I can't recommend one over another.

Sweat patches might be useful for analysis and customization...

I used Hammer Nutrition products about 5-6 years ago. I liked Hammer Heed as a sugar/electrolyte mix , but I moved to Hammer Perpetuem for most of my longer sessions on the bike and run. I had good luck with Hammer products, though some of my friends thought the addition of protein to Perpetuem was a negative. If I recall correctly, Hammer has a fairly thorough explanation of the benefits of protein in long course sessions on their website. I moved to different fuel based on my coach's ability to get discounted products.

Regarding sweat patches, I haven't used them, but I have switched to Precision Hydration as my electrolyte source. PH has an online questionnaire to help athletes categorize their need levels and PH provides hydration strategies for training and racing. They also have an outline that describes how much to take in before race day, as well as strategies for intra-workout hydration and recovery.
  • lightenup2016
    Options
    yirara wrote: »

I'm not sure whom to talk to if this is so important to you as GPs generally have very little knowledge of electrolytes. But potassium for example works together with sodium in maintaining fluid balance and blood pressure. If you get these out of whack then this might be bad for you. For example, if you have more sodium then potassium levels go down and blood pressure up. The other way around is also true. But both are needed.

I meant my Electrophysiologist, who specializes in electrical disorders of the heart. I already needed to message his office today, so I asked this question as well. I was only diagnosed last year, and this just hasn’t come up yet in my appointments.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. There are definitely some electrolytes drinks/powders/tablets I haven’t heard of. Does anyone make anything homemade?
  • Djproulx
    Options

I meant my Electrophysiologist, who specializes in electrical disorders of the heart. I already needed to message his office today, so I asked this question as well. I was only diagnosed last year, and this just hasn’t come up yet in my appointments.

Thanks to everyone for their recommendations. There are definitely some electrolytes drinks/powders/tablets I haven’t heard of. Does anyone make anything homemade?

One guy in my training group uses a combination of salt, blackstrap molasses, honey and a bit of water. He carries it in a gel bottle.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options

Fueling and electrolyte replacement for endurance sports is a delicate balance of dosing, digest-ability and portability. Finding a particular thing that gives you the carbs (fuel) you need, in a way that doesn’t make you sick, and provides the electrolytes you need and is easy to carry around Isn’t always as easy as you’d think. The companies that make these products do tons of research (or use existing research) to craft products that meet all those needs (although not all will be tolerated equally well by all people). They know how many carbs we need and what kind of sugar to use, how to balance sodium/potassium/magnesium/etc to maximize digestion and performance. My homemade attempts haven’t worked as well as commercially made products and they have been kind of messy or larger or otherwise just less convenient. I tried homemade stuff purely to save some money. But I stick with commercial products.