Anybody with Restless Leg Syndrome?

Options
Anybody out there with Restless Leg Syndrome? I believe I had it. I was never diagnosed with it, but I had the symptoms and they drove me nuts. Especially at night when I got in bed. It started in 2001. The funny thing is, I don't seem to have it anymore. I don't know why - but I wonder if it has anything to do with all the exercise I do now. Does anybody have any insight here? Or common experience?

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking the same thing!! I used to get it a lot before bed, especially if I was tired. I don't remember the last time I had it...
  • quichebradford
    quichebradford Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Oh oh, pick me pick me! I had it as well, I was actually diagnosed with it a few years back. Since I've started working out I have a lot less episodes, almost none actually. I think it has to do with the circulation that we get now from moving around so much. I may be wrong, but that's my two cents. :smile:
  • Queen_Christine
    Queen_Christine Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I think you're right Kesha! We've hit the nail on the head! WE SHOULD BE DOCTORS! :laugh:
  • JennsLosing
    Options
    whew ...i thought you were going to ask how many calories do you burn moving your leg at night and if you should log them, lol. i have no idea but heres a bump so you can get the answer your looking for!
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    My husband has it.. if he drinks to much caffeine it gets worse. For some reason in the fall it bothers him (us) more.
  • krissallae
    Options
    I do not know if what I have is restless leg syndrome, but I do have myoclonic leg jerks. They really only occur once I'm in bed for the night.
  • Here_kittykitty
    Here_kittykitty Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I started taking an extra magnesium supplement (250 mg) and it started helping almost immediately. It is super cheap (at Wal-mart), and worth it to include in your normal daily vitamin regimen. It is very rare now that I have any symptoms anymore, in comparison to suffering every night!
  • GvMeSmthn2Lstn2
    Options
    I think I get it sometimes if I'm really worn out. Caffeine may have to deal with it too, since I drink more of it when I feel like I'm running on empty.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I have it and have it bad, and i exercise a lot but it does not helped, nothing helped til i started on requip , that has been a miracle
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    I do not know if what I have is restless leg syndrome, but I do have myoclonic leg jerks. They really only occur once I'm in bed for the night.

That is most likely RSL
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    YES! I was diagnosed with RLS. I have a leg massager that rubs the muscles but dang, it hurts and so annoying. I usually get it at night when I go to bed.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    My RLS (if I have it) Got better with running, till a point, once I kind of got used to it, it came back. This time it came back stronger than ever and hurt so much I went to the Dr and have pills now.
    It is a lot worse at night and with caffeine.
  • JENIFER_AZ
    JENIFER_AZ Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My RLS (if I have it) Got better with running, till a point, once I kind of got used to it, it came back. This time it came back stronger than ever and hurt so much I went to the Dr and have pills now.
    It is a lot worse at night and with caffeine.

I get it bad at night too. Toss and turning and all I want my husband to do is punch me in the calves, NO LIE! The leg massager helps, it really does. I was given the RX for it but decided to bare it out......I hate it but I'm SO use to it as I've had it all my life.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    well i have rls but since ive started riding bikes with my daughters i havent noticed it as much although its not completely gone... i sure wish it was though :/
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had the symptoms for a few years, and I still have some mild "attacks". Always when I'm iron deficient (anemic). As long as my iron levels are in a good range, my legs behave.
  • elinsofie
    elinsofie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I used to have RLS. It got worse if I ate a lot of sugar or had coffee in the evening. Sleeping with socks on would sometimes reduce it. I guess keeping my feet warm was good for the blood circulation. But a couple of years ago I found out I had an iron deficiency and when I got my iron level back to normal the RLS disappeared completely!
  • LTGPSA
    LTGPSA Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I've had it on and off for years. When I'm routinely exercising - it doesn't seem to bother me so much. One thing that sometimes helps is while I'm laying in bed I stretch my leg muscles by pointing my toes all the way forward (and even tighten my muscles) then point my toes the opposite direction as far as possible (toward my face per se) - that stretches the muscles in the backs of my legs. It's not cure all, but has helped me sometimes.
    :flowerforyou: