Rant: struggling with very slow metabolism

Options
PersonMcSelf
PersonMcSelf Posts: 7 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm about to claw my eyes out. First off let me give you my details: I'm female in my mid-30s, without any physical disability, and I just had a full blood panel done less than three weeks ago (yes, including thyroid) and everything came back fairly normal except that my LDL was high. I'm on a medication for my anxiety which is notorious for slowing your metabolism, and switching to a different medication is not an option since it's the only one that works for me.

I have gained a good deal of weight since I started on the medication, without any change in diet or exercise habits. I had never been overweight before but I am now, and my doctor told me to lose weight since my blood lipid profile, which used to be perfect, is now bad; plus I'm starting to crawl toward prediabetes.

The problem is this: I did what she told me and initiated a strict diet and exercise regime, cutting calories significantly and walking 12 miles per week. I tried at different calorie levels, first a little, then a lot, then I experimented to figure out at what number of calories my weight stayed exactly stable over the course of a few weeks. To my dismay, even with 12 miles of walking per week, and otherwise being on my feet 1/3-1/2 of the day every day, I burn the number of calories that is supposed to be my BMR!!! Literally I burn about 1400 calories a day.

It's very weird because like I said, my thyroid is fine, my energy levels are fine, I don't have any random disorders, I'm not a couch potato, I CERTAINLY don't eat hidden calories (I'm a Nazi about what I eat, weighing everything down to the gram and reading every label exhaustively.)

I don't know what to do. My weight is barely budging on my weight loss regimen, but I can't exactly go to a spin class or something, since there are none right now. And if I burn 1400/day including exercise, eating 1200/day puts me at a deficit of 200/day, at which rate I'd be losing ... drumroll please... 1.7 lb per month. Yes, one point seven. That's three quarters of a kilogram. So it would take me one year to lose the 20 lbs/10 kg that my doctor wants me to lose.

Advice, support, anecdotes, etc. are appreciated, to keep me from going insane.

Replies

• PersonMcSelf
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    If you only need to lose 20 lbs healthy weight loss is .5 lbs a week.
    I can't even seem to shed that much. And if I eat back my exercise calories, which as you can see I already factored into the 1400/day that I burn, I would actually gain weight.

• PersonMcSelf
    edited May 2020
    Options
    With 20 pounds to lose, and all that exercise, you should be able to eat a whole lot more than 1200.

How tall are you?

Also, for how long have you been logging food with your food scale? It says you just joined this site today...so, how have you been tracking food and for how long?

I'm 5'7" and I log with a journal and a calculator. Been tracking for over four months now. I agree that I should be able to eat at least 1700 calories, even with a normal shade of slow metabolism, without gaining weight. That's my point :'( But for some infuriating, baffling reason this medication magically has me running on caloric fumes...
  • PersonMcSelf
    edited May 2020
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Are you using a food scale?
    Yep, I have a high-quality digital food scale.

I don't know what else to do... I'm telling you, when I get my stimulus check I'm gonna buy a used elliptical machine and get on it twice a day, six days a week, an hour at a time. Sigh
  • victorialeigh629
    victorialeigh629 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Just saying I'm on meds too and I feel your pain. I'm used to weight coming off pretty easily and now its a struggle.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I second the increased walking program. Moderate walking should accumulate a good 2.5+ miles an hour, so we're looking at a minimum of 17.5 a week if indoor activity is not sufficient.

My last 11.2lbs I lost over 12 months to drop within the normal range..

Time will pass whether you're getting closer or further from your goals. Moving closer is a win!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    12miles a week is less than an hour a day. Add some time. Up your pace. 3miles an hour is not very fast if you are not very over weight. I have 20lbs to go(have for a long time) and my calories have to be spot on to lose. I am hungry with as active as I am and many many weeks I just maintain or even gain and ruin the lbs lost in past weeks. I have to track closely. It is a fine balance when I love to lift and hike and run and move. Maybe get an activity tracker and see if that helps motivate you a bit?

ETA: I also have some metabolism slowing issues. Low thyroid function “fixed” with meds, and a migraine med that apparently lowers metabolism. I don’t give them weight towards my journey and just work hard and eat appropriately when I can/want to, keep very active, and rest as my body needs. I am far more happy seeing what my body can do as opposed to how small it can be.
  • PersonMcSelf
    Options
    It is also very possible that the medication is causing water retention which could be masking your weight loss efforts, especially since you have so little to lose.

When you said he checked thyroid - did they do a full thyroid panel or just check TSH?

Full panel because my doc was concerned about my weight gain. Water retention isn't it, as I'm on a diuretic for my blood pressure.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You could do more exercise without purchasing any equipment. 12 miles of walking per week isn't really a lot, but it's a fine place to start. YouTube is full of workouts and channels. I follow Jenny Ford, freedom fitness, fitoutsidethebox, Sydney Cummings, and Yvette Bachman, just to name a few. Les Mills also has a free at home workout page. Try something new!

This was also my thought, now you are doing under 2 miles a day. If you can add a little more movement and make sure your food logging is as accurate as possible, the weight will come off!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,724 Member
    Options
    And water weight fluctuations can be persistent and larger than fat losses based on reasonable deficits...