Do you ever just feel hopeless?

Options
daniels8186
daniels8186 Posts: 17 Member
This is the half millionth time i will be trying to lose weight.I track my food,my calories, my sugars and carbs.I workout 7 days a week doing kickboxing,barre,zumba and hiit training.I lift weights several times a week.I'm very active throughout my day with kids and clean up.I just bought a scale because i thought i was losing weight and it turns out i'm 15 lbs heavier than i was orginally thinking.
I've talked to my dr who condescendingly told me it's simple math calories in and calories out. She said she refuses to acknowledge an issue until i'd done weight watchers.I was on weight watchers for 6 months.I lost weight the first week and the more stringent i was with my diet the more i weight i gained.
I spoke to my primary care dr who prescribed my phentermine.It helped initially but then my body was so tired for my mind i became intolerably angry.
I know it's not a quick fix.But i have put in months and months with no results.The last time i had gone through everything i decided i would just be happy as i was because that's just how it's always going to be.But every time i go to the dr they have "the talk" with me.I work at a plus sized woman store and you think that would be a safe place but instead the women that are hurting come in and take out their insecurities on me.
I don't know what else i can do...

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    well, I disagree about the Jason Fung part in the bulleted list above (don't agree with #4 - but I wasn't the one who hit the disagree button), but the rest is solid advice, and even #4 is valid in the idea that you see that much of what is considered common "diet" knowledge is actually malarky, such as starvation mode, broken metabolism, you must eat only "clean", low carb/low fat/ low whatever, calories aren't enough to consider when trying to lose weight.....There are many, many good resources here at MFP and posters who have read the research and can give good, sensible answers to questions on these.

Eat in the way that you can sustain, compromise with your body on what it craves - if it wants carbs, give it carbs, but give it less than before.

And I definitely agree with finding a new doctor. I wouldn't stay with a doctor that was constantly lecturing me, either. I know my weight was an issue; I know I was too heavy. A lecture every time I'd see them would just make me want to avoid them which isn't good for the rest of my health. It's one thing to encourage me to find things I can do to lose weight; its quite another to constantly harp on it.

Thankfully, my last two PCP's have been wonderful. Neither said anything about my weight, but did encourage me on other healthy things I could do in my life. And when I did start losing weight, I didn't have any bigger cheerleaders than they were; in fact, I look very much forward to seeing my doctor this time around since its been a year and I may be down 50 lbs from the last time I saw her by my appointment in September.

Also, most PCPs only have a rudimentary training in nutrition, and I've encountered many that buy into the fads as badly as most non-medical people do. Ask to be referred to a registered dietician (NOT a nutritionist, but a licensed professional!) or, if you are not in the US, a licensed professional trained in nutrition science. Just telling you get on weight watchers is not helpful as there are a myriad number of ways one can achieve a calorie deficit, and the key is in finding the one that YOU can work with.

As has been stated here many, many times, the key to sustainability is in making the diet process as easy as you can; you are more likely to be be able to maintain it even through the drags if you aren't trying to white-knuckle and will power your way through something.
  • daniels8186
    daniels8186 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    i appreciate your responses.Thank you very much for your input and i do agree.I know many times it had been mentioned to me that i can't depend on exercise for weight loss.I don't put much faith in exercise as much as i value the time to give me confidence,to help stifle my appetite and also to build muscle. My diet has been more extreme i think then i can maintain,i was just hoping for a jump start to motivate.Plus i've been given the time with the lockdown to have this be such a priority.I am realizing that i need to take things slow if i want the stability. I just wish i knew if i was doing something right.I'm less disheartened than i was a week ago and i'm thankful to be part of a weightloss community that is so supportive.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options

This!

Also the links at the top of the forum "most helpful". They've got everything you need to know.