Protecting floor at home - kettlebells

Options
Does anyone have any advice on how to protect our floor at home while using kettlebells? We've started using them in our main room which has a laminate floor and I'm worried if they're put down heavily or accidentally dropped they could damage the floor. Would a yoga mat be enough?

We're not lucky enough to have a garage or other space to convert into a gym!

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I rented kettlebells for quarantine and I am afraid of damage as well. I actually keep them outside on my patio. I put a towel down for deadlift and slower movements. For swings I'm only doing those outside, patio or garage.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I was able to score a tumble mat from a pole studio that went out of business.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,130 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help with the sitting them down, but to avoid flinging them dangerously if I lose grip when doing swings, I face the couch. (In my case, that floor has a rug: Good enough for short drops, not powered flings. ;) ).

Horse stall mats are another option, though some smell rubber-y.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    My gym floor is recycled (car) tire floor mat/tiles that I got at Home Depot. It’s more dense (but the same size/function) than the typical foam “tiles” and much more than a yoga mat.

Very little seems to impact this flooring (including heavy equipment and 200+ lb deadlifting and an occasional dropped weight). I don’t know if it would work for an airborne kettlebell, but it would certainly cover a small drop or hard put-down (unless your KB’s are crazy heavy-my heaviest KB’s have been 53lb).

A box of the tiles wasn’t terribly expensive and it would be very easy to put down however many you’d need, then pick them up again after your workout.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options

r9ph22b0xlen.png
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    r9ph22b0xlen.png

Haha - this is what I'm afraid of!

Thank you for the ideas. They're not really heavy (yet!), I'm quite new to resistance training and although he used to train at the gym, he's new to kettlebells. Just bought a 16kg for him but I'm on 10 and 12kg.

I think I'll go belt and braces and look into mats but also face the couch when swinging. 😂🤞🏻
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I would go with horse mat or a small platform made out of 3"4" plywood possibly with 2×4 laid flat if we are talking substantial weight.
  • M93KG
    M93KG Posts: 41 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Horse stall mats are great if you have a dedicated area for a home gym: but new ones are odorous and weigh about 100 lbs.

My recommendation: a low pile carpet remnant or rug. Place your yoga mat above.Easy to roll up and unobtrusive.

I assume you want to use the space as living area when not in beast mode.
  • jasmine_belle
    jasmine_belle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    "Beast mode" 😍💪🏻

I like the rug idea, yes it's our main living space so needs to be put away.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I've been taking mine outside :D - I am not really afraid of the dropping aspect- but more of flying projectile lol!
    For dropping when setting down I've placed two yoga mats on each other, and two fluffy blankets on top of that. But now that it's nice here I am moving to the yard.