Losing Lean Body Mass not Fat

Options
When I started losing weight in June I had 36% body fat (determined by caliper method). I have lost 38 pounds and according to the calipers I am at 34% body fat now. This means I have lost 18 pounds of lean body mass and 20 pounds of fat. I am not getting weaker instead I'm actually getting stronger with better muscle endurance when I lift weights. Is it possible that I was so fat that the caliper method is inaccurate?

If that's not possible any suggestions how to lose more fat and keep more muscle? I was a vegan and started eating chicken breast and whey protein in an effort to save muscle mass a month ago. I eat 1200 calories a day, strength train 2-3 times per week and cardio every day (but never more than 30 mins of pure cardio). I only eat whole foods with the exception of my whey protein. I limit my fat intake to 15-25% of my daily calories and my protein is always higher than my carbs. I do not eat potatoes, corn, bread, wheat, sugar or saturated fat (except whatever amount is in the chicken breast). The fat calories I get are from flax seed oil and avocados.

If there are any suggestions or info on what I'm doing wrong please please please reply.
Thanks!

Replies

• starwhisperer
    Options
    that is a good tool to give you an idea of your body fat, but I wouldn't rest everything on it. If you feel stronger, are going up in the amount of weight you can do, then I would say it is possible that the test was incorrect one or both times.
  • MarieNevada
    MarieNevada Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    if anything i'd say you need to eat a bit more, change your macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, and 20% fat. you cant put on tons of lean body mass while in a calorie deficit but you shouldn't be losing that much. through 5 mos and 58 lbs lost i've been able to not only maintain it but increase it. when you strength train do you lift heavy? don't be afraid to lift to failure or almost to failure. All I can think is that maybe you're not challenging your muscles enough. Also make sure you have protein with every meal.
  • cschu544
    cschu544 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Calipers are good at giving you a general idea, but if you want something that's a little more accurate, ask your doctor to use the Accu-fit or another form of an electronic body fat measurer. I was able to get a clear picture of where I stood and where I needed to be. Just a thought :)
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can gain lean body mass by only eating 1,200 calories a day, but I'm not actually a bodybuilder/weight trainer so I'm not sure. I feel like you need to be eating more calories.
  • emma1488
    Options
    How long were you vegan for? Maybe check out this website for some ideas. http://www.veganbodybuilding.com/
  • chelleydee33
    Options
    Thanks all for the info/replies.

@ MarieNevada: If I can make it through the sets/reps without failure then I add more weight. I have to foam roll my body all the time to help calm the DOMS. I will pay very close attention when I lift tomorrow to make sure I'm not slacking off and that I really am challenging my muscles enough. That's awesome that you were able to build muscle while losing fat - congrats!

@ emma1488: I have switched back and forth from vegan to vegetarian for all 34 years of my life. I've prob been vegan for 3 years this go round. Thanks for the link that's sweet.