How to lose weight and griw muscle

Options
usmcnas
usmcnas Posts: 27 Member
Hello i am 18 years old 6’0 198lbs i joined the United States marine corps in November and been training ever since. Bootcamp is in August and i still dont see myself in the right place i want to be with my body. I am struggling with losing stubborn body fats on my stomach and chest. I do a lot of cardio running miles every week and i stay perfectly on my calorie level i just need some tips on what to do to help this process should i be in a deficit? Should i work out on cardio still and lift weights? And if you were in this situation what did you focus on either eating or exercise to get to where you are?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with losing stubborn body fats on my stomach and chest.
    Forget where your problem areas are - fat comes off from wherever it choses to when you are in a calorie deficit / losing weight or recomping while maintaining weight.

I do a lot of cardio running miles every week and i stay perfectly on my calorie level i just need some tips on what to do to help this process should i be in a deficit?
    But is that the right calorie level?
    How did you choose that level?
    How are you tracking your food intake? (Accurately by weighing your food? Eyeballing?)
    Are you actually trying to lose weight and are you losing weight?
    Data helps with getting suitable advice!

Should i work out on cardio still and lift weights?
    Yes and yes. It's not one or the other it's both.
    Think ahead to what you are going to be doing in bootcamp, if you aren't already start to incorporate that style of training now.

And if you were in this situation what did you focus on either eating or exercise to get to where you are?
    Both!
    You can't eat yourself to the required fitness/strength level and it's extraordinarily hard to use exercise alone to lose weight / lose fat without some care as regards your diet. (It takes me about an hour of cycling to burn 600cals and I can eat a 600cal sandwich in seconds!)

• RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, you have to have a caloric deficit.

It is very difficult to gain muscle mass on a caloric deficit but you can get muscle definition and build strength as well.

For weight loss, start with a 200-300 calorie deficit and decrease your calories by a 100 once you are no longer losing weight.

For cardio, look at MetCon and WOD workouts instead of running miles.
    Also, keep doing your compounds at least two or three times a week while building your performance and endurance.
    You don't have to do many reps with the compounds, 3 x 5 or 3 x 3. The compounds will build or maintain your maximal strength which is why you have to cut your calories slowly every week.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Okay, looking it up, at your height they want you under 202 lbs? You’re pretty close to that, I wouldn’t want to risk their scale being exactly the same as your home scale. So if I were you I would focus on getting off a few more pounds. Yes, you need to be in a deficit to lose weight.

As far as details, I think you are overthinking this. Lay down a base of strength and stamina - yes you should lift weights as well as doing cardio - and trust that they will work the hell out of you to get you to where you need to be. That’s what boot camp is for. If you are a noticeable weakling or otherwise unfit, work on it. But I have a friend who started as a total wimp who made it through boot camp. They are spending money on you, they will push you to succeed.
  • usmcnas
    Options
    @sijomial

How did you choose that level? i am going off of MyFitnessPal.

How are you tracking your food intake? Calories on the back and portion control. I try and eat the same stuff everyday.
    (Accurately by weighing your food? Eyeballing?)

Are you actually trying to lose weight and are you losing weight? Ive lost almost 25 pounds ever since i started training (cardio and lifting) i want to be more muscular and leaner. Do not want to burn muscle off.

Data helps with getting suitable advice!

Yes and yes. It's not one or the other it's both.
    Think ahead to what you are going to be doing in bootcamp, if you aren't already start to incorporate that style of training now.
    I train running, pushups, pull ups, sit ups etc everyday as a main exercise.

Thank you for the information you shared with me i hope I answered questions correctly. I just need some guidance on what to do i am tired of the people i watch wanting my money and likes to give me false information.
  • usmcnas
    Options
    @rheddmobile Thank you for your comment. I understand what i need to train for and trust me i train on that everyday, but i want to focus on something to get me to a good body before entering.
  • usmcnas
    Options
    @RepswithRyan Thank you for your advice! I am assuming the workouts you listed are HIIT style workouts and i do those and i run to train for bootcamp should I continue doing that everyday or stay at 2-3 times a week. Also should i eat more protein with this deficit or anything in particular?