Steps, Activity Level, Intentional VS Unintentional

Hi everyone! Having a bit of trouble figuring out my activity level. I'm currently working from home (have been for 8 weeks). Every hour I pace my living room to walk 1,500 steps. In a day this gives me roughly 15k steps. About 3-4 nights per week I go for an hour or so walk outside if weather permits, but I'm not sure I would classify it as "intentional exercise". I'm not walking so fast that I'm out of breath, moreso "intentional" walking (so not sauntering along or walking slowly). On those days I can range from 20-25k steps. I do no other intentional exercise at the moment, as all gyms are closed and I have no equipment, and I live in a small flat with very little space. How should I classify my activity level? Lightly active? Active? Any suggestions or advice is welcome! Thank you! (If needed, I'm a 5 foot 3 female currently weighing 158, goal is 140-145)

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,705 Member
    With your 'living room steps' alone, I'd say you're active to very active.

As for your outside walks, if you include those in your activity level and don't log them, I'd definitely say you're very active. (The alternative is to log those evening walks as exercise and not take them into account for your activity level)
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,705 Member
    PS: after you decide what to choose, you can monitor the evolution of your weight over the following month to determine if you're burning more or less calories than MFP thinks. And then adjust from there.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Anything over 15,000 steps is considered very active so that being the case I'd recommend you put yourself at that level and then add those evening walks as additional exercise. Maybe only eat half the allotted calories from those walks, at least to begin with, and adjust the amount you eat back after a month or so, depending on how quickly you are losing weight compared to your goal.
  • kristinmarie524934
    kristinmarie524934 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks everyone! :smile: