"Too much" carbs.. Hmm.

EthanJeremiahsMama
EthanJeremiahsMama Posts: 534 Member
edited October 2 in Food and Nutrition
Hi MFP. What exactly is "too many" carbs..? What is your limit per day? Ladies? I'm not quite sure if my carb daily intake is high, my diary is open for feedback. Oh & please don't mind this past weeknd, I was in Vegas lol!

I see some posts on here about carbs.. Of course we all know what the bad carbs are. My carbs mainly come from oatmeal, whole grain sprouted bread, fruits, almond butter, kashi go lean cereal --- Nothing bad. But I did hear having "too much" carbs per day can lead to weight gain or can stop further weight loss? So I was just wondering what is YOUR carb limit intake per day? I have to have my ezekiel whole grain sprouted toast OR oatmeal OR kashi go lean at least once a day lol :)

Replies

• sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    between 40 and 60% of calories coming from carb sources seems to be a very average number for people to use. there is nothing horrible/terrible about a carb, especially if you are eating the 'good' ones like you mentioned :)

there are many LOW carb diets (less than 50g a day or smaller even) that put your body into a different state. you can read up on those and form some thoughts, I haven't looked into them and I'm not really interested personally.
  • beatlemom
    beatlemom Posts: 250 Member
    I try to stay at about 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant, so I try to do lower carbs, not Atkins or South Beach or anything like that, but 40% usually gives me about 160 grams of carbs. More than that and I feel tired and sluggish all day. And I do seem to have more effective weight loss. I think it's more important to see what works for you and what you can live with. Good Luck!
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    When actively trying to lose weight, I kept it around 120-140g carbs per day and tried to keep it at fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. I also kept my sugars between 15-20g usually. At 5'7" and 177, this was very effective for me and I felt good.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Hi MFP. What exactly is "too many" carbs..? What is your limit per day? Ladies? I'm not quite sure if my carb daily intake is high, my diary is open for feedback. Oh & please don't mind this past weeknd, I was in Vegas lol!

I see some posts on here about carbs.. Of course we all know what the bad carbs are. My carbs mainly come from oatmeal, whole grain sprouted bread, fruits, almond butter, kashi go lean cereal --- Nothing bad. But I did hear having "too much" carbs per day can lead to weight gain or can stop further weight loss? So I was just wondering what is YOUR carb limit intake per day? I have to have my ezekiel whole grain sprouted toast OR oatmeal OR kashi go lean at least once a day lol :)

When weight loss is the goal, what really matters is whether you're eating at a calorie deficit or not. All this carb counting is overated in my opinion. Here's why I say so, a person can eat minimal carbs, but if they take in a calorie surplus in fat and protein calories, they will gain weight no matter how many carbs they've eaten. Weight loss isn't rocket science, eat less calories than you're body requires to survive and perform your daily activities. Carefully calculate your BMR then subtract 500 calories from your BMR. Make that your calorie goal and eat a balanced diet of the 3 macros to reach that calorie goal. You obviously can't survive on pure protein, but you can easily eat a diet that is fairly high in carbs and still lose weight as long as you're eating at a deficit.
  • maserati185
    maserati185 Posts: 263 Member
    Carbs break down into sugars once in the body. Simple carbs break down fastest into glucose. That's my understanding and that is what I believe all the lower-carb hype is about. Different foods do affect the body differently, from a chemical perspective. If you eat 1600 calories of chocolate verses 1600 calories of vegetables, fruits and protein, I believe you will have a different outcome.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    It's a try it and see approach - everyone's body is different, but many people find they find it easier to shift weight if they keep their carbs in check.

I (after trial and error) am currently on a 40/30/30 split carbs/ protein/ fats. I aim to get between 100-150g carbs a day. This is what I find feasible and effective. Somedays my carb intake is higher - I dont sweat it, it's not important in the long term scheme of things. Quality of carbs is important too - veggies and wholewheat sources.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    I have my ratios set at 40% carbs, 30% fat and protein. I often go over on carbs but I don't worry about it too much. It hasn't seemed to inhibit weight loss.
This discussion has been closed.