Home made chips

Options
Hi there I wondered how to Log and track homemade chips made from
A potato and baked using low calorie spray oil. Do I just search for potato and track one uncooked? Thanks so much

Replies

• Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    That's what I do, I weigh the raw product and add the seasoning/oil separately. I assume calories don't increase with cooking if I don't add anything else to it.
  • ivegotthis20
    ivegotthis20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Great thanks Jackie very much!
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight the raw potato and the oil you add to it.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I found that an air fryer makes pretty good potato chips, as long as I can get the potatoes cut thin enough, which is my problem (I've got a mandolin slicer, but it seems to be slicing too thin and shaving instead of slicing).

Using the air fryer and just a fine mist of oil, I wouldn't bother counting the oil in that case; I' just weigh my slices before I put them into the fryer.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    You can get away with no oil at all if you slice thinly (I use a food processor), put in a single layer on a silicon baking sheet, season (I like vinegar salt) and microwave about 6 minutes. Remove any that have turned golden brown. Continue to zap stragglers at one minute intervals being careful because the margin of error between golden brown and burnt is pretty narrow. These harden to a brittle crisp when they cool.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    So I wanna know if they were good. How long? What temp? Thanks!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    Would weight potato.

Would weigh can of oil before / after.

Propellant by weight is very little. If the oil is no longer in the can and you didn't miss the chips... 9 Cal per gram can add up relatively fast. The "zero calories = just under 5Cal so we can call it zero" for 1/3 of a second spray... is for a single 1/3 of a second spray--not for the two or three or more sprays that may go into cooking something! :wink: