5'4" moms over 25

Options
It has been so long since I was even close to being a healthy weight, so I am not even sure what that would be for me or how I would look. At 163 I am getting the "omg, you don't need to loose anymore" responses from friends. It kind of makes me feel like crap instead of feeling good. I know that when I sit, my stomach still hangs over and I know that my arms are awful and my thighs are too large. I'm not happy yet.
My question is for all of the women 5'4" give or take (I'm 5'4") and have kids what is a reasonable goal weight. Is there such a thing as being too skinny for your age? I am back and forth on wanting to set mine at 118-125, but am not sure if I will actually look right or if I will ever see those numbers.
Just wanted to see others ideal goal weight.
Thanks
Kassie

Replies

• Legra
    Legra Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm not 5'4" nor am I a mom, but I would say anywhere in the healthy BMI range would be just fine. 108-145lbs.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    Thanks. Sounds like I have the right goals in mind :)
  • Kinda79
    Kinda79 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and am aiming for about 140 or so which is still high I guess for our height but I'm big boned or at least I've always had hips, thighs and curves so 140 should put me in a size 10 pants or so. I'm also a mother of 4 kids so will probably always have some tummy. I would listen to your own body and not what everybody else is telling you. As long as your BMI is around 22 then you are set! :)
  • irishgal44
    irishgal44 Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    I'm' the same height and I really think so far 145 is my goal...will reevaluate from there. I have to be realistic - a mom of 3 kids...I'm happy at 170 (not 100% comfortable however). So I know at 145 I will feel fantastic. From there, I secretly want to lost another 10 lbs...but like I said...I will reevaluate when I get there.

:flowerforyou:
  • Autumn_P
    Autumn_P Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My goal is 145. I'm 5'4. Once I get there ill decide if I'm happy or want to keep losing. I want to be healthy but couldn't imagine myself too thin ( if that makes sense)
    hope this helps :flowerforyou:
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and aiming for 140 or so as well. I don't think your age or the fact that you have kiddos should determine your goals. Aim for what you feel healthy at. If anything, from looking at people's success photos, everyone looks younger at their goal, that's never a bad thing. I wouldn't worry about what other people think. Like Kinda79, I'm of the curvier build and not worried so much about my goal weight as fitting into a size 10, and being the healthiest I possibly can be. Good Luck! And feel free to add me if you'd like. Oh, and I'm a mom of 2 teen girls. Even more important to make sure I am using healthy eating and exercise to set a healthy example for my girls. =)
  • mita2161
    Options
    I just shoot for 130. If I get there and feel im too skinny I can add weight. But if I feel I might need a couple more to lose then its still within the healthy range. Its all about how you feel. And I understand totally about the tummy ring that happens when you sit down. That will change tho, just keep on and dont give up.
  • butterflimom
    Options
    Thanks ladies- I am the same way. I honestly don't know it I can get there and I am afraid of being too skinny. My problem was that I got comfortable with being obese and stayed there for along time. Now, I'm sure what would feel right for me.
  • snkeller24
    Options
    Not a mom but the same height ... but I think it'd be good to set some smaller goals and slowly work your way down. The most important thing is how you feel. I try not to focus so much on what the scale says as more to how my clothes fit and the way my body looks; Maybe check and see what you bf% is and work on lowering that as a goal?

Best luck!
  • psychochillie
    psychochillie Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Do you do any strength training? (2 or 3 times a week) Strengthening and toning your muscles will make you look and feel better, even if weight doesn't change. When you increase your muscle mass, the scale might not go down, but you will be decreasing body fat. Your clothes size will go down though. Your health and disease prevention will improve.
  • sharonus
    Options
    Hi Kassie,

I'm 5'4", 43 years old, and have two kids, aged 7 and 5. My goal weight is 125 and with my weigh in tomorrow, I think I will be within a couple of pounds of that. My high weight was 152.

I had a good idea about what my goal weight should be, because when I was about 28 I went on a really low fat diet (I ate as few grams a day of fat as possible) and I used to run for an hour a day. At that time, I weighed between 120 and 125 and was considered very thin by people. Whenever I got down to 119, I would basically inhale and suddenly my weight was 120. :) So, I know I'm probably not going to get lower than that.

Even though I've lost most of the weight, I'm not happy with my stomach area, so I'm going to have to work on toning that. I expect that my weight will fluctuate a little bit when I gain muscle, but I want to stay in the 120s. I think that's a comfortable zone for me with my body type.

Good luck to you on your journey! :)

Sharon
  • vkcooper
    Options
    I am 5"4" and am kinda a mom (my daughter passed away). But at my smallest in the army I was 143 and could squeeze into size 3. But I am busty and big boned now weight 201 (215 at my heaviest) I think you need to be happy with your weight. Too small would be around 115. Keep it up I would love it if you friend me since we have so much in common
  • sumastorm
    Options
    I am 5' 4" currently 167.

I have 2 kids... 6 & 8. I felt my best at around 137.. so i am aiming for around 140 :))
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and mother of 2, gained 65 lbs with my first! I know that my body will never look like it did before I had kids, but last year I got down to 129 and felt pretty good! I actually wore shorts, not something I have every really done! My goal is 130-135. I don't want something I have to work really hard to maintain, and I have always been curvy, don't see any reason to try to fight it! :)
  • kellbelle07
    Options
    I am 5'4"... 28 years old...and a mother of a four year old daughter...my goal weight is 175...I'm also a nurse and the bmi charts you find online have told me I should weigh 145. I feel this is too skinny for my body type...all of my doctor friends have told me that you must go by the individual...life style...body shape..activity level..and general heath. A good rule of thumb is to add 15 pounds to the "healthy weight" recommend from the bmi charts. Good luck :)
  • katharine1229
    Options
    OMG I hear you! I keep hearing this all the time and I know people are trying to be sweet but really! I'm 151 and 5'4 (although when i was 260 i was 5'3 make sense of that...hhmm...lol). I have a 16 month old son. I still have fat in places I don't want to see it, and fat missing from places I wish it still was (goodbye chest...i will miss you...lol). Your starting weight was 270? And you have children? We are battling another issue as well here...skin.

This is why I'm shooting for a goal weight of 130...and starting a tummy tuck fund...because honestly if I am to get one that will cut out 10 pounds all on its own. It doesn't seem right I should be able to loose 125 pounds when all is said and done and still not be able to fit into a pair of jeans:/ lol
  • j06j10
    Options
    I AM 5 4 and i was 130 when i was 15 and thats when i had my first kid and got 25lbs over weight so i want to get back to that same weight ,I think its a reasonable weight looking back on those pictures. When i look at the internet now and look at the weigh you have to be at 5 4 i just think that 108 is a crazy number to be considered normal but 130 to 140 do make your body look fuller and hotter i think so skin and bones not that much : ) good luck!!!!!!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5" and my goal is to be somewhere between 125 and 140. It's going to depend on my body composition and how I feel about myself when I get there. If I hit 135 and I can fit into my old clothes and I have well defined muscles and a healthy body fat percentage I'm not going to work toward 125 just to hit that number.
  • KareyMarie
    KareyMarie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I had to laugh at the thought of being to skinny for a certain age. :) I'm 5' 2 3/4'' 30 year old Mama, and my goal is set for 140 (which is 21 lbs away) but I can honestly see where a lot more than that could come from, so it's my ultimate goal...for now. :) I have 3 kids (and even though I'd love to adopt someday, I think I'm done being preggo) but let me tell ya, my stomach will NEVER look pretty (I had three c-sections, and when I had to have my appendix removed they cut from my belly button all the way down because it was "exploritory surgery" - don't even get me started) but I'm excited to see what it looks like with a lot less fat in it than it has now! :)

Just keep up the good work and when you get to goal you can decide if you want to keep going!
  • butterflimom
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of you guys honest answers.
    To one question- I don't strength train as much as I should. I try to fit it in some. I do cardio 4-6 times per week.
    To another question- skin is becoming a major issue. I know in my heart that I can tone in up a lot if I try harder. Motivation is my problem. Eating right, isn't a major issue, although I tend to fall off the wagon from time to time, but hey I'm human.
    Another question- yes, after having illnesses during pregnancy with my first son, I weighed over 270 in 1998. Since then I have yo-yo'ed back and forth between 185-225 up until last year when at 30 I decided to make a change.
    As far as weight goals, I really appreciate you guy's opinions.
    I'm not sure what my true goals are exactly, but I do know that I will reach them when I can sit down and not be able to prop things up on my stomach and when I walk my pants won't rub together, whether that be at 140 or at 100. Time will tell.
    Thanks again!!!