Making time

Options
Anybody else find it hard to make time to go walk/exercise? I currently walk once a day in the evening, but want to push for twice a day. I just don't or am too lazy to make the time for the 2nd walk! I dont wanna lose sleep in the morning, and I also have errands to run sometimes and a house to clean with a toddler to take care of and I usually try to have it all done by 5pm and go walk like at 730pm. What do you guys do to make that extra time for your morning workout?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am pretty ruthless with my evening routine to make sure that I get to bed at a time that allows me to regularly wake up early enough for exercise. We only have so much time in a day and at some point the "I don't wanna lose sleep" has to compromise with the "I have to get out of bed to accomplish the things that I want."

There are two potential issues. Maybe you have a genuine need for more sleep and you need to find a way to get to bed earlier if you want to wake up by a certain time. This is where you need to take a closer look at your evening to see what can be cut or streamlined so you can get to bed early enough. Or maybe you're getting enough sleep and you're just the kind of person who needs to learn to kick yourself out of bed (this isn't a moral judgment, I know it's harder for some people to get going in the morning).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Anybody else find it hard to make time to go walk/exercise? I currently walk once a day in the evening, but want to push for twice a day. I just don't or am too lazy to make the time for the 2nd walk! I dont wanna lose sleep in the morning, and I also have errands to run sometimes and a house to clean with a toddler to take care of and I usually try to have it all done by 5pm and go walk like at 730pm. What do you guys do to make that extra time for your morning workout?

How long are your walks? I spend about an hour per day either cycling or walking...there is only so much time in a day and I don't know too many people who make time for more than about an hour per day of exercise. I used to a few years back, but that was because I was actively training for endurance cycling events and races and had more available time. I'd love to be able to do that now, but it's not very practical given my other life obligations and there's no reason to force it.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I'm currently excercising twice a day. I have a set evening/post-work schedule. The first session, however, is flexible: I either do it within 30 min of getting up or do do something on my lunch break.

The more I plan for it in advance, the more I'm able to motivate myself to do it. Otherwise, on some days,it's just the excitement of doing something other than sitting for a few minutes.

What motivates you, regardless of errands, parenting, etc?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    For over 6 months I have been an early o'clock exerciser which is surprising development and no one is more surprised than I am. I never dreamed I would be willing to do it and I actually love it. There is something so nice about the peace and quiet of the early morning hours and the satisfaction of getting it done and over. I feel like if I always did it in the evening I take a chance of my discipline fading as the day progresses and I definitely take the chance of my routine being interrupted by life.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    NovusDies wrote: »
    For over 6 months I have been an early o'clock exerciser which is surprising development and no one is more surprised than I am. I never dreamed I would be willing to do it and I actually love it. There is something so nice about the peace and quiet of the early morning hours and the satisfaction of getting it done and over. I feel like if I always did it in the evening I take a chance of my discipline fading as the day progresses and I definitely take the chance of my routine being interrupted by life.

Yes, for me there is something so nice about feeling like whatever the day has in store, at least I got my workout in. I also feel it helps with my overall mood for the day.
  • relativehunter
    relativehunter Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    For a while, I've been getting up, puttering, playing some computer games and by then it's 10am. I've decided that I need to use that time to get a walk in, so I've switched some of that time to walking. I'm at the beginning of my journey (again, but health issues are forcing me to get serious), so the walks are not long, but 20 minutes of walking vs 20 minutes of playing games seems to me to be a good start. My goal is to get to that 1 hour of walk (swim when it's warmer) each day.
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Like others, I wake up early and do mine first thing in the morning. That way no matter what happens with the rest of the day, at least I've got my fitness on track. It also allows me to put the energy from my morning caffeine to good use.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options

You've received some good advice so far about changing your schedule and what not, but keep in mind regarding the bold that activity does not have to be formal, timed exercise. Cleaning and keeping up with a toddler is great activity.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    When I had little kids, I took a class at night and after a time, got fitness equipment to use at home. Walking is so weather-dependent that it wouldn't work for me most of the time.
  • paulawriteslove
    paulawriteslove Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Hi! My body thrives on routines so I keep it on a schedule. So here's my schedule:
    -Wake up every day at either 6:00am (weekdays) or 7:00am (weekends).
    -Morning workout about an hour after I wake up. I prefer strength training.
    -Morning walk around 10:00 or 11:00. I walk at least 30 minutes. I have my lunch around 12:00pm.
    -Afternoon walk at 2:00pm and then have my afternoon snack when I get back.

Like I said, my body thrives on routines, so I keep it on a schedule.
  • MeganD1704
    MeganD1704 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used to work over 80+ hours a week, which brings me back to MFP starting again :p

When I was working like that it was hard- my day started at 4:30 am to catch the bus for work by 5 and didn't get home till 6-6:30 and often worked after that from home. I only would work out on Sundays-but ended up eating way to much and not tracking my calories.

Now I've switched jobs- I work out at 4:30am to be at work/ready by 7. Evening walks have to happen as well as we have a dog- I always aim for that to be between 6:30-7:30. I am finding now that my life really needs routine to thrive for me to be able to shed weight.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I'm still on track with my fitness routine. It's a habit for me now and I've made it a priority.

First thing in the morning I still get a workout in. I plan out what I'm doing the night before and I have my workout clothes ready to go.

During the day I get in bursts of small activity in such as walking my pup, I'll do a quick one mile walk at home workout or I'll do some random push ups or leg lifts etc.

Most evenings I get in some light to moderate strength training (bodyweight,/weight/resistance bands) and I'll do some deep stretching or Pilates.

Getting in daily movement makes me feel great, I sleep better and I love the results from it so it helps me to keep going. The little extra time I've gained during this time I spend most of it working out now.

I miss going out for long walks and hikes, but my home gym, my backyard and using Youtube workouts/apps are all fine.

I hope you can figure things out and make it work OP. Good luck!