Please suggest best hand weight moves for my son

Options
My son is 13 and was advised by his gastroenterologist to weight train 3 times a week. He has fatty liver and needs to increase his metabolism while lowering calorie intake. She specifically said he needs to do strength training. A dietician is helping us with his diet.

Can someone here suggest the best compound weight moves with hand weights? It's what we have, not bar weights. Gyms are closed here due to pandemic. He has poor muscle tone also, so any workout will be better than nothing. I am also Googling. But thought I'd ask here. Thank you for any help.

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Not that there's anything necessarily wrong with dumbbells (which I'm assuming is what you mean by hand weights) but if it were my son at that age, I'd prefer bodyweight exercises.

Also, what does he like to do when active?

Could the pediatrician not make suggestions for you (as well as the nutritionist)?
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    If he’s already low muscle tone I’d start with body weight as well. Simple body weight strength training will get him able to work with additional weight.

YouTube has a lot of free videos - PopSugar! fitness, Sydney Cummings, etc. They have mostly body weight training.
  • FloatR
    FloatR Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    When you say “poor muscle tone” are you meaning muscle hypotonia with gross motor skills delay? Because this can change a few things. You may need the assistance of a physiotherapist to come up with a program that will be more manageable for him... best of luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Squats, split squats, lunges, step ups,, RDL, OHP., bent over rows, floor press, push up variations.

All of these can be useful if programmed correctly for your child's ability and fitness.

If any are too easy for the intensity of weight and your child is mindful of body awareness, you could also use tempo and paused variations.

If you need a trainer my services would be pro bono.

I'd take him up on this, @Prettyredkitty! @Chieflrg knows his stuff.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Sydney Cummings had over 800 videos on her channel. Look for full body workouts or rotate between her videos that have separate parts. She has a May challenge going on. Bootcamp is tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's body weight, but probably a good place to start. She says it is family friendly.