Quarantined with a feeder

Options
Firstly, and most importantly, I completely recognise it’s my fault and responsibility but I have lost all control over my calorie intake

I start every day with good intentions but my activity rate is way down, gym is closed, going outside is scary and restricted to once a day

My husband likes to cook and bake and there is constant fresh baked delicious bread, scones, full meals, breakfast in bed etc and I can’t say no, or stop myself

Where has my will power gone and how do I get it back?

(How many of these whines are there on here?)

Replies

• hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Ostrich218 wrote: »
    I need to work out how to sort the movement cos this time has proved to me that the YouTube exercise world is not my thing

Yeah, not really mine, either. Would it be possible to walk/jog outside, or is the weather too bad or crowds too big? I recently took up Pokemon GO again to help increase my steps and fight the quarantine boredom, I can do it alone (or with my husband) walking outside. Another thing I do is put on my headphones, start cleaning the house and dance like nobody's watching while I do it. Makes cleaning surprisingly fun, too.
  • lollie1285
    lollie1285 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    First of all - can you send your husband to Pennsylvania? Because mine won’t even boil water!

I am a sucker for baked goods and sweets of every kind. Big breakfasts, comforting dinners - you name it, I live for it. I absolutely adore food. But I have amazing willpower and love to exercise like a beast so I’m tiny. I know not everyone finds these things so easy. And often times for me, they’re not easy. My ability to do these things stems from years of being obsessed with food and binge eating. I’ve learned to cope with it over the years and to find a healthy balance.

I still slip up from time to time though. In fact, I straight up told myself that I could use this quarantine to backslide or I can use all of the free time to exercise and get into the best shape of my life. I chose the latter.

The fact that you’re acknowledging the problem is amazing! The sooner you recognize the issue, the sooner you can fix it before it spirals out of control. And that is the first step.

As someone who struggles with anxiety, I often pep talk myself and ask WHY I do certain things that contribute more to my anxiety. Why do I procrastinate and let things gnaw at me? Why do I binge only to beat myself up during AND after? If I don’t allow myself to do these things, BAM - no anxiety. Easier said than done, but it feels so freeing to not be upset and anxious over things that I absolutely can control (just may take a lot of willpower to do so).

You CAN do this! Hugs!!
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You can go outside to workout. I still run 3xs a week. I just run by myself. Unless you are physically on someone and breathing in their moist breath, you are ok. We all need fresh air, breathing indoor stagnate air is the worst.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Thank you @sijomial and @rheddmobile

Yesterday I had soup for supper while they had sausage, mash and onion gravy, and the house was full of the smell of fresh baked sourdough bread. If my calories had been in control and this was a rare supper I could have joined them but neither was true,

So I just started that conversation with my husband and he initially struggled to get it, he says he cooks what the kids and he likes and I don’t have to eat it. I do cook, but have to fight for the kitchen, and enjoy it but the whole calorie / healthy meals ends up with refusals to eat (my children are older teens). Also he tends to take over the whole kitchen and it is his sanity zone :)

I admitted it’s my problem but asked for some support and he may have turned the corner, we are sorting a shelf for my meal prep, moving the chocolate to the outside fridge and agreeing that the amount of veg, and form of veg prep with things like Sunday roasts has to be significantly adjusted. I even showed him some healthy recipe sites we have in and I think he might take it as a challenge rather than an imposition.

I need to work out how to sort the movement cos this time has proved to me that the YouTube exercise world is not my thing

Ya, my OH doesn't get why it would be helpful for me to not see foods that are his, but are triggers for me, like cake. But I met with a dietitian today and she backed me up on how it would be helpful for me if these foods were kept out of my sight.

Re exercise: it's gardening season and I am thrilled to have a new project, plus all my old gardening projects :smiley:

Because I'm gardening, I'm neglecting all the other things I can do at home or allowed places - walk, hike, practice yoga, strength train. Well, I do do the indoor stuff when the rain keeps me indoors. I've also done some deep cleaning. If I wasn't able to garden I'd consider painting walls.
  • sashimimaniac
    sashimimaniac Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    i practise intermittent fasting, which helps me put a lid on overeating. Let’s say i walk past an amazing smelling bakery around midday, i’ll buy something from it and turn it into lunch. i’m pretty full after that and i don’t feel too tempted by other things. early evening, if i still have some amazing bread, i’ll have it as part of my dinner. then, i eat nothing else the rest of the night till lunch again the next day. it works for me :)
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    My first month of lockdown was just endless bad for choices and no movement. I gained about 7 lbs or so which is not a small amount of work to take back off. Anyhow, I saw where it was going and decided that it was just a mental excuse that was leading me this way. Why would having MORE time in my schedule have to mean worse habits?? So my husband and I made a pact and started Whole 30. Typically I find the program hard because it's time consuming and requires a lot more cooking from scratch. But you know what I have right now? Time at home. Same thing with the workouts. We decided to start 21 Day Fix Beachbody videos at home. There is a lot out there that don't require equipment or a lot of space. Yes it's a disheartening and scary time in the world, but it's also a time where many have an unprecedented opportunity to invest in themselves physically and mentally!
    Anyhow - I guess what I'm saying is why not funnel some of that cooking energy into something constructive for health. Why not view the time at home as an opportunity instead of a drudgery. Think of it as being kind to your future self, who will no doubt resent having to lose the X amount of weight that you will put on otherwise. Have empathy for future you. :)
  • Ostrich218
    Ostrich218 Posts: 14 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Great, now the daughter has started baking Challah again - I'm doomed

Actually been a decent week, apart from yesterday when the challah hit and I went over but I'm down that initial 3- 5 lbs (varying daily) from first week trying to get back in control

Good things: my steps are heading back up to 10K a day, logging is happening and my meal prep is better - just made a veggie madras curry what my husband likes to call vegetable monge - but is just meditteranean style to eat with rice.

Bad things: yeah he's really still not getting it but talks a good game

Just mail me the stuff that you shouldn't be having. I'll take care of it.

Promise. B)

This made me laugh though - imagining shoving fresh-baked bread in a mailbox

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,900 Member
    Options
    Great, now the daughter has started baking Challah again - I'm doomed

Actually been a decent week, apart from yesterday when the challah hit and I went over but I'm down that initial 3- 5 lbs (varying daily) from first week trying to get back in control

Good things: my steps are heading back up to 10K a day, logging is happening and my meal prep is better - just made a veggie madras curry what my husband likes to call vegetable monge - but is just meditteranean style to eat with rice.

Bad things: yeah he's really still not getting it but talks a good game.

If you know dinners are going to be big, how about setting some boundaries around breakfast and lunch? Ex: breakfast in bed only on Saturdays, scones only on Sundays (or whatever works for your schedule, of course.)

You have to be firm for him to get the message - giving in sends him mixed messages, which he will interpret to his liking.

I gained weight when I moved in w my OH and like to blame it on him, but it's really me, and I need to take responsibility for my own actions. Sure, living apart was more conducive to weight loss, but I want to live with him, so have to figure out how to make this situation work, which involves creating habits and the discipline to maintain them.

For example, when we lived apart, I used to go to the gym two nights a week, which sure cut down on evening snacking. I didn't have a gym membership here even before the pandemic, but can certainly do yoga or strength train with dumb bells at home in the evenings.

And this time of year I can garden after dinner like I did last night - spent 90 minutes working on my new garden bed and spreading mulch instead of several hours snuggling and watching TV. In addition to the hour I spent gardening in the afternoon, this was a sweet calorie burn.
  • R0ENIN8
    R0ENIN8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    i practise intermittent fasting, which helps me put a lid on overeating. Let’s say i walk past an amazing smelling bakery around midday, i’ll buy something from it and turn it into lunch. i’m pretty full after that and i don’t feel too tempted by other things. early evening, if i still have some amazing bread, i’ll have it as part of my dinner. then, i eat nothing else the rest of the night till lunch again the next day. it works for me :)

I just started doing this and it helps a lot!