Not sure if calorie goal is enough? Advice appreciated :)

FayeShiels
FayeShiels Posts: 6 Member
Ok so I’ve been using MyFitnessPal for 2 weeks so far. I’m 5 foot tall, 130 pounds and I walk about 6000-8000 steps a day and have been doing a 30min HIIT workout about 4-5 days a week. Currently my goal is to lose about 15-20 pounds at 1 pound a week and I set my activity level at lightly active. MyFitnessPal has set my calorie goal to 1230 calories a day, this was fine for the first week but recently I’ve been feeling very tired even though I’m sleeping about 8 hours a day, do you think this is enough calories? I even felt quite faint while making dinner. (I have been trying to eat a fair amount of protein and healthy foods)

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Are you logging your exercise separately and eating back those calories?
    Try either raising your activity, or lowering your goal to. .5 lbs a week. Being faint isn't good, and you might not be fueling your body.
  • FayeShiels
    No, I wasn’t sure how much of my daily exercise already counted in the activity level. Do you log any activity like walking or only some of it?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    FayeShiels wrote: »
    No, I wasn’t sure how much of my daily exercise already counted in the activity level. Do you log any activity like walking or only some of it?

MFP intends for you to set your activity level based on your regular, non-intentional exercise, activity level. You will then log your exercise and eat those calories back.
  • FayeShiels
    Ah I see, do you always eat all your calories back? I suppose I’m a bit worried about overestimating how many calories I’ve burned and eating too much.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Ah I see, do you always eat all your calories back? I suppose I’m a bit worried about overestimating how many calories I’ve burned and eating too much.

If you aren't sure you can try eating back half the calories, and then adjust.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I eat all mine back because after a period of observation I concluded that my Fitbit was estimating accurate calories for me. If you're worried that yours are too much, you can take the strategy of eating back a portion of them (say 50-75%, paying attention to your results over time, and then making any necessary adjustments).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

For finding in the exercise database to log - what are your HIIT workouts?
    That acronym has been slapped on all manner of workouts merely to sound good but they aren't HIIT.
    May be calisthenics or circuit training depending on the rest period and what you are doing.

Besides the correct Lightly-Active level those steps indicate you are in. That kind of walking you don't need to log separately - you have the activity level set correctly to keep it simple.

Or do you know the steps because you have an activity tracker synced to MFP?
  • FayeShiels
    Thanks I will eat some more. It sounds the same as what happened to you-I felt fine for the first week or so and it’s only been the last two days I’ve felt like this, didn’t really understand what was going on as I was eating/exercising the same amount. I guess I was confused as there’s a lot of articles online saying that 1200 calories is ok and others saying you need more so I didn’t know if what I was doing was wrong. Thanks for the advice anyway :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    Thanks I will eat some more. It sounds the same as what happened to you-I felt fine for the first week or so and it’s only been the last two days I’ve felt like this, didn’t really understand what was going on as I was eating/exercising the same amount. I guess I was confused as there’s a lot of articles online saying that 1200 calories is ok and others saying you need more so I didn’t know if what I was doing was wrong. Thanks for the advice anyway :)

There's no universal "right number of calories". It's individual.

A good process is to start by setting up MFP as per instructions (basing the activity level setting on daily life, before intentional exercise), logging and eating back at least a fair fraction of intentional exercise calories, then sticking with that routine for 4-6 weeks (at least a full menstrual cycle, for women not yet in menopause, so one can compare the same point in at least 2 different cycles). Then, adjust intake based on actual average weekly weight loss rate, over that whole period. If the first week are two are extremely different, throw those out and use 4-6 later weeks.

Along with way, if one seems to be losing quite fast and feels weak/fatigued, that's a danger sign, and they should eat somewhat more. Otherwise, stick with the plan.

I know, this takes a long time. Most people will experience overall weight loss over that time period. A small number won't. A very small number will lose too fast. It's a question of risk management.

The so-called calorie "calculators", such as MFP, are spitting out an average number based on scientific research. They'll be close for most people (because most people are average, by definition), further off (high or low) for a few, and quite far off for a very, very few. That's just how statistical estimates work, and that's all these formulas give you: A statistical estimate, as a starting point.

If some source is saying "1200 calories is OK for everyone", I'd suggest finding better sources. 1200 will be fine for some (for various reasons), dangerously wrong for others. Start with a sound statistical estimate, monitor, adjust once you have enough personal data.

Best wishes!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited May 2020
    The other issue here is that you need a consistent habit to finally determine how much exercise calories to eat back. If you wish to start eating 50 percent now and wait 6 weeks to see how the numbers shake out you can do that. However, I would suggest starting the evaluation period at the beginning of your second week. This would mean you should eat back 100 percent of your exercise calories for the next week and afterwards drop to 50 percent for 4 additional weeks. This would make 6 weeks of 50 percent (1 at zero, 1 at 100, 4 at 50). This might be advisable too because you need to get your energy back and it might easily end up that 50 percent is still not enough.

ETA: Consistent habits are not absolutely required but for someone new they are because they simplify the math.
  • knightmagic
    knightmagic Posts: 100 Member
    As other's have said you need to increase your calories. You may have underestimated your activity level or are going far above that level now with your exercise. Listen to your body and get to know it. Maybe spend a week or two at or around maintenance. When you feel hungry be intentional about it and ask if it's hunger/boredom/etc and track the calories. people who have done this have a better understanding what their bodies actual caloric needs are and then can adjust to a .5 to 1lb loss per week.

What other goals do you have? Why do you want to lose the weight? are there alternatives to still accomplish your goals? example would be are you looking to be more athletic looking and performing; if so you could do weight training with HIIT to add muscle and reduce your overall body fat % while adding some weight with muscle. there is almost always another route to get you to where you want.

you got this!
  • FayeShiels
    Thanks guys I've decided to lower my weekly goal to 0.5lbs a week and eat back my calories then I'll see how that goes.

What other goals do you have? Why do you want to lose the weight? are there alternatives to still accomplish your goals? example would be are you looking to be more athletic looking and performing; if so you could do weight training with HIIT to add muscle and reduce your overall body fat % while adding some weight with muscle. there is almost always another route to get you to where you want.

you got this!

Well I wanted to lose a bit of weight then tone up and improve my general fitness (which is not that great at the minute). My bmi is only about 2lbs overweight so I don't need to lose loads, but my fitness is not that great as I've been working a desk jobs for 18 months whereas before I had a very active job. I'd like to get back to the level I was at before, although it definitely seems tougher this time!