Ellipticals anyone?

Options
Hi all
Just wondering who uses elliptical trainers and what kind of a result they have got from them?
Ive had a treadmill for ages and recently got an elliptical and I love it. Its so easy yet you can feel it working.
So far Ive lost 5.5kg in 2 months and aiming for my first goal of 10kg.
Overall Id love to lose 20kg

Replies

• imgonnadoit123
    imgonnadoit123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I've gotten amazing results with ellipticals. In fact that is ALL i ever do at my gym.
  • pdmc1
    Options
    Love the elliptical. It's a great workout but easy on the joints.
  • JazzyJas20
    Options
    I just barley started using this machine at the gym so I couldn't tell you much and was actually wondering the same thing... it is a tough work out that kicked my butt every time. I'm usually the dominate at the bike and treadmill along with any other machine except that one lol I will dominate it but it depends if it really will help shape my body or if I'm wasting my time on it....
  • Charger440
    Charger440 Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    I'm an elliptical man myself. You feel the burn fast and it's "low impact"
  • Cakepiebeer
    Options
    Elliptical machines are great! But your joints and bones need a little impact to stay strong, granted you don't have any serious conditions that limit you to just using the elliptical.

Hiking and walking will take care of that though
  • cree_d
    Options
    I love the elliptical! If I push myself it says I burn 500 calories in 35 minutes... But I think it might even be more because I consider myself quite sedentary but had to bump up my level on here to active to match the rate I'm actually losing weight. Plus it's easy on the joints :)
  • jenfotovat
    Options
    love, love, love the elliptical! Its amazing..I'll watch an entire hour of my favorite shows at the gym on it and burn almost 800 calories off..all while getting to watch T.V.! I put a towel or a magazine over the minutes so I don't keep looking though cause it seems to wear me out more if im watching the seconds and the calories trickle by! Its an awesome machine..way better than a treadmill! :)
  • Soccer_chick916
    Soccer_chick916 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Love it burn more calories in less time!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I use them, always liked them better. I experienced some horrendous feet injuries from running with skechers and i can do the elliptical fine now. I get results from interval training. I've worked up to 30second intervals but I do some tabta ones. I don't put up the resistance much because I already have mad butt and calf muscles.
  • jocordes
    jocordes Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh its good to see so many good stories about it!
    I mix it up with walking and jogging (treadmill and out on the road)
    The most I can do at the moment is up to 30min nonstop. My feet tend to go a little numb if I carry on further. Sometimes 30 min is pushing it. Any tips would be great
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love it. I'm a lot bigger than everyone else so I can only do 10 but I'm working my way up. I'm not looking at doing longer than 20. Any more than that on any machine and I get bored!

I particully like it because I can 'run' on it. On a treadmill I can't get past seven without hurting. On the elliptical I'm always between 10-11.
  • martinh78
    Options
    Just started to use one at the gym, my second go yesterday. The "fat burning" programme I found ok, but yesterday I tried teh "aerobics" programme and that was great. Burned 670 calories off in 30 mins and definiately could feel my thighs working.

It's a good machine I reckon, and one I shall be alternating between that and the rower.
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    This is my favourite machine.
    If you work really hard on it, really push yourself, then you can burn 400 calories in just 20 minutes!
    It is a life saver :)
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    I love the elliptical as well! I'm glad there is a post for this because I was wondering if anyone has had success with using the elliptical. I was wondering what's best as far as burning fat... is it best to do the interval workouts?
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    I love the elliptical as well! I'm glad there is a post for this because I was wondering if anyone has had success with using the elliptical. I was wondering what's best as far as burning fat... is it best to do the interval workouts?
  • demonNIИ
    Options
    I've been using it since March this year. I love it
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in here about the calorie burn....the estimates on the elliptical are way over what you really burn. I started wearing my HRM while doing the elliptical and in reality I burn like half the cals that the machine tell me. So when I thought I was burning 400 cals I was really only burning 200-250 cals. Sucks, I know.
  • Cherilea
    Cherilea Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I just want to chime in here about the calorie burn....the estimates on the elliptical are way over what you really burn. I started wearing my HRM while doing the elliptical and in reality I burn like half the cals that the machine tell me. So when I thought I was burning 400 cals I was really only burning 200-250 cals. Sucks, I know.

^^^THIS^^^ I go by my HRM at all times. Although it would be tempting just to go with what the machine says, or MFP for that matter, but I want to go w/the most accurate reading.
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I love them. I vary my workouts but this is an old faithful. I find it very useful in the gym after work. It's just seems to stretched my whole body out and wake me up. I did 30 minutes today and it totally destressed me.
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I am so in love with the elliptical.

My high cardio days are:

30 minutes elliptical.
    10 minutes bike.
    10 minutes arc.
    30 more minutes elliptical.

I <3 it!