Initial Weight gain from Running?

Options
capops
capops Posts: 7 Member
I started running 3-4 times a week three weeks ago, ~ 30 minute jobs where I alternate running and walking. I’ve been feeling good and feel slimmer, but the scale has been slowly going up (I only weigh one e a week) . I have my calorie goal set to lose 0.5 pounds for week, so I’m not expecting a huge loss, but feel as though I should be losing.
Have any of you guys experienced weight gain from starting a new workout and how long until it started to fade away?

Replies

• Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options
    I've had water weight gain even just from increasing my step count considerably through walking.
    For me it took several weeks and a break in my walking intensity to lose that large water weight gain (3lbs).

Everyone is different, you might find it drops off as your body gets used to the exercise. Or if you keep pushing yourself (increasing intensity), that water weight won't really go away but fat loss will 'catch up' with it and your weight will go down after a while.

My weight loss rate is also set at 0.5lbs per week. Which inherently means water weight fluctuations easily mask fat loss in the short term. I weight daily to have the most data possible. Who knows, you might have been a lower weight on one of the other 6 days of the week! At this rate of loss, patience really is a virtue to look at the long term weight trend :smile:
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    totally normal. i just did a tough long run and gained 7lbs overnight. it's slowly going away.
  • leeniekat
    leeniekat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    This is awesome, I came to this forum to ask this question exactly and it was the second post! :D This makes me feel so much better. I know my calories consumed have been enough to be losing, but I've recently started exercising and I'm slightly up each day. Thank you to everyone who clarified!
  • capops
    capops Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much!! This all gives me an extra boost to stick to it 😁😁