YouTube trainers that have the correct form?

crevtion
crevtion Posts: 72 Member
There are so so many YouTube fitness videos especially right now. Many of them are from people with millions of followers and it would seem that we can follow their advice. However, I have started to notice that in fact they do not have the proper form. A lot of them don't explain how to do the exercise properly etc. Obviously I'm not a pro myself so I'm looking for someone who will do these workouts but actually focus on the performance.

Any suggestions? I've discovered Sydney Cummings recently and I think she's ok? Some YouTubers like Chloe Ting have blown up craaaazy the past few weeks, but I'm pretty sure she's not even doing some of the exercises well.

Replies

• ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    edited May 2020
    look for Allan Thrall if you are looking for weight lifting stuff. He also has a good one about improvising when you are stuck are home due to the virus.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    I just did a sydney cummings HIIT today and wow I may never go back LISS again ;) jk
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I also like Sydney Cummings, she'll give tips on form during the videos. I've noticed Les Mills instructors also have like perfect form on everything. Maybe try their bodypump videos.
  • djaxon1
    djaxon1 Posts: 82 Member
    I try and read some of the comments as form may be mentioned - then I try and find out correct way.
    With millions of followers they have become "entertainers" - think 'show biz' .
  • cdudley628
    cdudley628 Posts: 547 Member
    I also felt that Chloe Ting's form was off a lot of the time and was very confused by her popularity.

HasFit tends to focus on form, not sure what kind of videos you're looking for, but I enjoy the ones I've done from them.
  • crevtion
    crevtion Posts: 72 Member
    edited May 2020
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have very limited equipment at home- some resistance bands and 2 x4kg dumbbells so I guess I need something that can make use of just that and bodyweight. Preferably strenght training but also some intervals would be good too
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    edited May 2020
    FitnessBlender and PopSugarFitness are my favorite YouTube channels for fitness. They have videos for all different sorts of equipment, including no equipment.

On the FitnessBlender website you can actually filter the workouts by what equipment you have available
  • rayni_wiggins
    rayni_wiggins Posts: 1 Member
    I love the popsugar videos! The dancing videos are so fun and actually make me sweat.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    edited May 2020
    nogymhero wrote: »
    What type of exercises are you interested in?

One good resource is Jeff Cavalier's AthtleanX channel will show the correct form in all exercises. He is a physiotherapist and professional trainer. He spends a lot of time in many of his videos explaining how to do exercises correctly and why they should be performed in a certain manner.

Yep, Jeff Cavalier. Also Mike Robertson, Dean Sommerset, Dan John, Eric Cressey, Tony Gentilcore, Mike Boyle, Jim "Smitty" Smith, Joe Defranco, Alwyn/Rachel Cosgrove, are all high level trainers that with significant experience in the field.

IMO, look for someone that has material out there earlier than 2015 at least.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Form is overblown and misunderstood in the fitness world. Many times people are literally just marketing their channels with this controversial topic.

There literally isn't a definition of proper form that is universal.

I have been on both sides of the fence but in recent years have learned from evidence that we really shouldn't worry about "form" as much as utilizing a appropriate intensity and of course proper load management.

We often see trolls spouting people will break or snap their back is rounded during a deaflift. Evidence suggest the opposite if certain conditions are met.

Also the topic of optimal form might actually impede progress for most lifters who think they mimic content of form they viewed on youtube or social media.

There are a handful of people that I would trust since their content is backed by science and data.

While there are others, Stefanie Cohn and BBM crew are some of the people that put out decent content that is well explained and backed by evidence.
  • Chieflrg
    crevtion wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have very limited equipment at home- some resistance bands and 2 x4kg dumbbells so I guess I need something that can make use of just that and bodyweight. Preferably strenght training but also some intervals would be good too

There are many ways to resistance train at home with minimal equipment that will be just fine until you have access to better equipment.
  • getfitwithcofit
    getfitwithcofit Posts: 2 Member
    You can also check out COFITNESS on Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHwIQxJTKMbUzzolSGlN-Vg . It is a new channel but has a couple of great and helpful workouts already up.
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    crevtion wrote: »

You will be able to find a lot for body weight and limited equipment such as bands on his channel. He's been around for years so there should be a lot for you if you look around.
  • nogymhero
    edited May 2020
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Form is overblown and misunderstood in the fitness world. Many times people are literally just marketing their channels with this controversial topic.

I have been on both sides of the fence but in recent years have learned from evidence that we really shouldn't worry about "form" as much as utilizing a appropriate intensity and of course proper load management.

We often see trolls spouting people will break or snap their back is rounded during a deaflift. Evidence suggest the opposite if certain conditions are met.

Also the topic of optimal form might actually impede progress for most lifters who think they mimic content of form they viewed on youtube or social media.

There are a handful of people that I would trust since their content is backed by science and data.

While there are others, Stefanie Cohn and BBM crew are some of the people that put out decent content that is well explained and backed by evidence.

In this vein, I would imagine that you would include Dr Mike Israetel and Renaissance Periodization as being of similar quality.
  • Chieflrg
    edited May 2020

In this vein, I would imagine that you would include Dr Mike Israetel and Renaissance Periodization as being of similar quality.

Close and he is a very well educated individual and is valuable to the industry.

There are some slightly smaller things I might disagree on how he interprets data and applies it in thought for translation to the masses but that is okay.

Nobody will completely see eye to eye on every issue or use the same language. In the end we all want the same result.

Personally I like Knuckols, Helms, and Tuchscherer a tad more not only for ability to convey info but dummy it down for the population. I certainly don't think Israetel is off base in thought if that makes sense.

Just one old guy's rankings of smarter people if you will.
  • nogymhero

Close and he is a very well educated individual and is valuable to the industry.

There are some slightly smaller things I might disagree on how he interprets data and applies it in thought for translation to the masses but that is okay.

Nobody will completely see eye to eye on every issue or use the same language. In the end we all want the same result.

Personally I like Knuckols, Helms, and Tuchscherer a tad more not only for ability to convey info but dummy it down for the population. I certainly don't think Israetel is off base in thought if that makes sense.

Just one old guy's rankings of smarter people if you will.

Definitely can't go wrong with any of those.