How to split up strength training

Options
I'm looking to incorporate two strength training sessions per week into my workouts
At the minute I do kickboxing 2-3 times per week, cardio the other day, and some full body HIIT
I have dumbbells at home and would like to tone up a bit more.
Is there a way of splitting up strength sessions into two workouts, ie upper body one day and lower body the other?
Would this be sufficient to target all body areas?
Could anyone please direct me to YouTube videos with such workouts/ websites with plans?
Most of the workouts I've seen have been subdivided into, eg triceps/ biceps/ shoulder/ glutes/ legs/ chest
It seems tedious to me to do multiple strength sessions per week. It also seems time consuming to combine all of these
Happy for any advice

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    If you only want to do 2 days per week, full body would be better. If you go to Sydney Cummings YouTube channel, she has over 800 workouts. Look for anything with full body. One of my favorites is called something like "legs arms &cardio" and is only 30 min. If you focus on.larger movements (like squats, deadlifts, push ups or chest press, and rows) you will hit the smaller muscles at the same time and you won't need to be so tedious with all of those accessories. You can always add some in if you feel something is lacking.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I also like Sidney Cummings a lot. HASFit is good too. The latter you can get a structured program if you're willing to pay for it but they have a lot of free videos. Sidney Cummings posts a workout every day. I prefer the first for legs butt and abs and the latter for arms.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Agreed on the full body workouts - 2X per week would be OK . be sure to include an upper body push ( bench or overhead press), upper body pull(row or pull up) squat , and a hinge (deadlift) Those 4 movement will cover most of your bases, you can add some arms if you want to.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Day 1
    - squat
    - bench

Day 2
    - press
    - deadlift
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me for years is getting in 4 strength training days during the week.

M and W I focus on my upper body (chest and back, bi's and tri's, shoulders and core etc.)
    T and TH I focus on my lower body

I used to do total body strength training a couple days a week but I found it's easier for me to split up body parts and rest. I might go hard on my legs and cardio one day. The next day I can completely rest my legs and focus just on my upper body.

The key for me is to plan out my workouts and what I'm focusing on.