Stomach Vacuum

Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has or still carries out "Stomach Vacuum" as a routine exercise for their internal ab muscles...

Currently I've been using this out of curiosity (for the last week) and have been surprised with a slight change in a flatter and shapely stomach...

I'm still not sure if there are any health warnings that go with such an exercise...

I'd be grateful for any info..

Thanks

Paul

Replies

• QueenMaryam04
    QueenMaryam04 Posts: 43 Member
    What is it?...i've never heard of it before if its any good i would love to try it too:)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    haha. I came in because of the ridiculous title and then remembered what they are. I do these when I'm bored. In the car, waiting on something, etc. I know some people who can do crazy things to their stomach with this stuff.

I very highly doubt there are any health problems associated with it since I've been doing it since I was maybe 8 for entertainment purposes and see if I could hold it longer then my friends etc. I'm 30 and not dead yet.

For those who don't know a stomach vacuum is when you 'suck in' your stomach and hold it this way while breathing normally. It helps strengthen your abdominal to a point (of course something like heavy lifting would be much more efficient). If you are sedentary, you will notice a big chance in your abilities to do this with time.

It will not target belly fat, since 0 things target belly fat, but personally I think it's something everyone should try and challenge their friends to competitions :P Anything that helps strengthen anything isn't a bad option if you ask me.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    When you suck in your gut and hold it as long as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDx1xfSobG4
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    health warnings......from pulling your stomach.......in and holding it for a few seconds.....

1. why would that hurt anyone?
    2. go ahead and do it, you'll be fine.
    3. i picked the right week to quit the forums.
    4. i blame Coder for me even being in this thread. everything is always someone else's fault.
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Paul...you grizzly bear, this is not what I was expecting at all...

pardon my ignorance
  • Lol I found it a strange exercise to read about, it's surprising to see how people come up with new methods to enhance looks and strengthen. I can't explain what I sound like when I take a breath afterwards lol, it doesn't sound pleasant haha (but I'm working on it) thanks all.
  • MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Hi all,

I just wanted to know if anyone has or still carries out "Stomach Vacuum" as a routine exercise for their internal ab muscles...

Currently I've been using this out of curiosity (for the last week) and have been surprised with a slight change in a flatter and shapely stomach...

I'm still not sure if there are any health warnings that go with such an exercise...

I'd be grateful for any info..

Thanks

Paul

When I first started doing pilates this is pretty much what the instructor told me to do. She kept saying to "engage your core" which pretty much meant suck your stomach in and learn to breathe up and out of your body rather than pushing your stomach out every time you take a breath. She said it would train your stomach to stay flat.

I'm not sure if it works or not, and it definitely wouldn't work if that was literally all you were doing and weren't doing any fat burning exercises, but maybe?
  • Tony2Gunzz
    Tony2Gunzz Posts: 1 Member
    I actually do the stomach vacuum; not saying I have the best. But this is a great for your transverse abdominal muscles! If you have a question feel free to ask and hopefully I can.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    The old time body builders used to do it . - Think Steve Reeves
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Stomach vacuums are one of the best exercises you can to to target the deep abdominal muscles.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,413 Member
    Ditto on the Pilates. It’s standard throughout the practice.
  • cyw5
    cyw5 Posts: 10 Member
    I have started incorporating them in my workouts a couple of months ago, and I'm not entirely sure they have helped because I have also stepped up my abs workout game, but I am seeing more toned obliques. Could it be a mix of the stomach vacuum and the abs workouts though.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Shelley Darlington has a video on it on YouTube