Is it possible for me to become super fit?

Options
Hi! I've been overweight/obese since I was 3 years old. I've had many unsuccessful attempts to lose weight, however I've started again and have lost almost 5kg :) I am currently 85.5kg, my final goal weight is 55kg. My question is, is it possible for me to become super fit? Is it possible for me to develop visible abs, and an obviously fit, strong physique? I've blamed my weight issues on my genetics and struggled to get fit for a long time (most of my life). I want to believe it's possible for me, as this would be very motivating but I have some doubts. Do I have to be genetically predisposed/fit since a young age to become super fit? PS. I'm aware that this would take time, I'm just trying to keep my expectations realistic. I hope this makes sense!

Replies

• mjhurry
    mjhurry Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    PS. I'm still motivated to get fitter than I am now! I'm just curious about how far I could take it. Thanks!
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It's up to you how much effort you put into it. I don't think anyone can tell you for certain how fit you will or won't get. You seem like you have focus and drive that in my opinion helps a lot.
  • mjhurry
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    It's up to you how much effort you put into it. I don't think anyone can tell you for certain how fit you will or won't get. You seem like you have focus and drive that in my opinion helps a lot.

Thanks for the reply! I am willing to put the effort in, especially now that I've been seeing results :) I guess I'm being impatient about seeing how I turn out hehe 😅
  • mjhurry
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    You are here, in this world, today.

You will, hopefully, be here, in this world, tomorrow.

Today, did you work on the pre-conditions that can both get you closer to where you want to be, and help keep you there?

Then it was a good day!

Thanks so much for this! Such a helpful reminder to stay in the present moment and do what it takes now :)
  • mjhurry
    Options
    MaltedTea wrote: »
    "Is it possible for me to become super fit?"

Yes...

As long as you are motivated to do it in a healthful way, while having fun, being patient and learning about all the new ways your body is adapting to a new lifestyle.

Enjoy the ride! You got this!

Thank you for your encouragement! Yes, I think I'm going to have to work on being more patient with myself hehe
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It truly is up to you to decide how much you want this and what you are willing to do to get there. I know several people who have gone from obese couch potato to marathon runner, which is one form of fitness. Some lost a lot of weight and some didn't.
  • mjhurry
    Options
    It truly is up to you to decide how much you want this and what you are willing to do to get there. I know several people who have gone from obese couch potato to marathon runner, which is one form of fitness. Some lost a lot of weight and some didn't.

Wow, that's an inspiring transformation! Yes, it seems like this may be a mental game as much as it is a physical one
  • mjhurry
    Options
    It’s all about the effort and dedication you are willing to put in.

My mom was obsess for pretty much all of my childhood. My senior year of high school she started losing weight and eventually she became a professional body-builder. It was a total 180 in her lifestyle and even though she doesn’t do the bodybuilding anymore she is still really fit and active.

That's incredibly inspiring! Thanks :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you want a chance of abs, than start lifting, run a slightly higher protein diet and have patience. The process in itself can take awhile.
  • mjhurry
    Options
    @AnnPT77 Thank you so much! What you've shared is so inspiring. Wanting to surprise myself is a great way to put it!

• mjhurry
    Options
    @JRsLateInLifeMom Wow, thanks for all the tips and encouragement! I'm taking notes... :)
  • mjhurry
    Options
    @Avidkeo Wow, what an amazing transformation! Ah, your starting weight was the same as mine, and I've also struggled with anxiety for many years. It's so encouraging to see that you've achieved what you have! Thank you so much :)