Question about Activity

Options
This is probably a silly question, but I spend most of my day entertaining my 4 year old. The one thing she wants me to do is push her on the swing. I can stand there for 30 minutes pushing her. Does anyone know how many calories you burn pushing a child on a swing?

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I would expect it's not enough to bother counting, consider it a bonus.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a silly question. I spend most of my day entertaining an almost 2 year old. Pushing a child on a swing isn't going to burn very many calories, and I probably wouldn't log it as additional exercise.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You really don't need that kind of precision - just set your activity level to account for being a Mum to a four year old.
  • mkestonmom
    mkestonmom Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I guess I should set my activity level to account for being the mom of 10. Although the oldest is moved out.
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You could do a squat or lunge or jumps between each push and 30min of that and you would feel it!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,266 Member
    Options
    The Compendium of Physical Activities says "standing, playing with child(ren) light effort, only active periods" (code 05171) would be estimated at 2.8 METS, so roughly a calorie burn in the vicinity of Hatha Yoga or just a tad bit more.

I probably wouldn't count it as exercise, either (I don't count yoga ;) ). Setting your activity level to a reasonable level for momming a 4-year-old would be a good plan, IMO. Certainly at least lightly active, if not active - definitely not sedentary.