Just gained 10 pounds

Options
123bean
123bean Posts: 27 Member
Hello- i am in nyc and not getting that much exercise under lockdown. I think I have gained 10 pounds in the past few months from stress eating and drinking. I need to gain control but it's so hard while we are in this quarantine. Any advice?

Replies

• vickijs1
    vickijs1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been working out at home but I have gained too.. it's so depressing. I'm a night binge eater.... Ice cream, cookies, brownies and wine. My goal this week is to eat nothing after dinner
  • luv2travelgirl
    luv2travelgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hey, I am a quarantine gainer as well I stepped on my scale this week and was up 10 lbs ... needless to say this can be very discouraging but I know I have to get back on track and make more of an effort to exercise, I started my food diary back this week too... have been making way to many bad choices subs, pizza and fast foods... we can do this we just have to support each other and stay motivated.. Good luck to U & don’t be so hard on yourself! 🙂
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I changed to maintainance while in lockdown. My only aim is to not gain, if I do lose then great. It is difficult not to go rummaging in the fridge at odd times. I try to stick to my normal routine, eating at my normal times and mostly my usual foods. However during this stressful time I have added a few more treats into my routine. Comfort foods have their place when we need comfort but we shouldnt need it EVERY day.

I don't have any advice on how to avoid eating too much but just try to remember that the lockdown will end. When it does if you haven't taken some measure of control now then you will be in a worse position than when it started and it will be that much harder to start over.

Stay safe xx

• omeymey
    omeymey Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Same gained 10 covid lb from stress. Have to take back control using this site. happy to see community posts . Gets hard stuck at home all the time.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    Food is not entertainment. Food is fuel. You need to change your outlook.

Wow, looks like a lot of people disagree with you. I'm currently not in enough of a cynical mood to write what I think...
  • QuilterInVA
    QuilterInVA Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Mostly Water is right. Food is fuel and that is all it should be used for. Psychiatrist will tell you that. Sit down and make a list of other things to do that don't involve food.
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Same here gained and shielded group and not going out. It’s not going to end anytime soon.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Food is not entertainment. Food is fuel. You need to change your outlook.

Clearly untrue, or a restaurant industry would never have been invented.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in and say you're not alone. I'm still exercising but eating is not under control. BUT today is a new day and a new opportunity to work on getting ourselves headed in the right direction. Whatever that means to you. Many of us are stress eating so I'm not sure it would be a good idea to take away all foods that give you pleasure. Just work on limiting them. That's my goal for today along with getting back to counting calories and meal planning.
  • andimickey
    andimickey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You are not alone - it's happening everywhere. The things that are working for me are: logging food & exercise, IF, low carbs and drinking only for occasion ( someone's birthday - not the occasion of "I'm bored on Tuesday ). It's really really tough, I have never struggled so much with weight. Having college kids home who eat constantly, and the need to bake treats and as someone else mentioned - every 5 days or so I have a IDGAF attitude. I send you luck and glad to see I'm not alone either.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Stress eating can be a way to seek comfort - I do it too. I've made sure to log everything, but the other thing I'm trying to do is to find something else that is a form of self-care to do instead. E.g. painting my nails, playing a relaxing game, writing, bubble bath - whatever is something you can do for you to unwind another way. But also, be kind to yourself and allow yourself comforting foods (just budget them or measure your portions) - else you can crank up more stress worrying about the weight or being too restrictive and make a spiral.
  • Chooklet57
    Chooklet57 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these posts. It helps for me to see that others are struggling too. I am able to go to work (Australia) but sedentary job. Nightime I have lost the plot as I cant go to gym and snack after dinner which compounds the problem . I think Im in mourning as the gym was my daily segue between work and home. I aim to get a handle on this and turn my thinking around. Just sharing that it is difficult helps. Hang in there everyone!