Over 50 weight loss advice

Options
I need help. My weight is not budging. I am doing exactly what I did in my early 40s to loose 50 pounds but I believe I need to do something different but I don't know what. Add me, or just look and my diary, it's public. Please feel free to give a suggestion.
Thank you!

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,259 Member
    Options
    Usually, the differences between our younger selves and our older selves are primarily lower daily-life activity levels, and less muscle-mass (which latter plays out in activity level, too, primarily IMO, though there is a tiny "metabolic" implication as well). Both of those are things under our control, which is useful. A long history of yo-yo dieting can aggravate the body composition aspect of that, I fear.

Your diary looks reasonable. Personally, I'd want more protein, but that's a nutrition issue and shouldn't directly affect weight loss. Your tracking looks less than precise (lots of "1 medium" "one package") kind of thing, but I'm not sure it's enough to wipe out a substantial calorie deficit.

Some of your exercise calorie estimates seem a little high, but you don't seem to be eating them all back, anyway.

I'm assuming you'd admit it if there were "off the books" eating or drinking; I hope you're logging any bites/licks/tastes, condiments, beverages, oils used in prep, etc., let alone any so-called "cheat days" or refeeds.

How long have you been sticking with your current calorie levels? When you say "weight not budging", what exactly does that mean, over what period of time? Literally zero loss, or slower loss than you'd like? How tall are you, how much do you weigh now, what's your daily life activity level look like? What activity level and weight loss rate goal did you tell MFP?

One thing I noticed is that you have a zero Fitbit adjustment pretty consistently: Are you actually using a Fitbit, and getting a zero adjustment from it? Do you have negative adjustments enabled?

Based on the info so far, about all I could recommend would be to tighten up the logging (more precision) for a couple of weeks, and see if any major discrepancies pop up. Knowing the answers to questions above might help me think about it with more nuance.

FWIW, in case it matters to you: I'm 64, lost about 50 pounds calorie counting with MFP back in 2015 (while hypothyroid, if that matters - I think it doesn't ;) ), and have maintained a healthy weight the same way since. I'm 5'5", 132 pounds this morning.

Best wishes! :flowerforyou:
  • dejavuohlala
    dejavuohlala Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    It is harder as the age creeps up I’m o et 70 lost a lot when mid 60’s but following two major surgeries and now this lock down a lot has come back on
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm the same. I have a history of successful weight loss and also in a pro capacity getting my level 3 PT in 2013. I'm no stranger to what works and what doesn't work and having battled with lack of motivation and some depression and an enabling partner, soon to be ex partner, I am baffled as to why my scales aren't budging. I lost a small amount, enough to notice, but then it was like I plateaued really early into my starting exercise again.

I've had a year of on and off meno symptoms so I'm defo in 'that age band' now where weight loss is typically a struggle.

I'm off to see if my scales are broke!!!!
  • SarahxCheesecake
    SarahxCheesecake Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ... all I could recommend would be to tighten up the logging (more precision) for a couple of weeks, and see if any major discrepancies pop up. Knowing the answers to questions above might help me think about it with more nuance.

I've also decided to tighten up my food awareness hence being here today, but also to connect with others in the same boat.

• rosegreen12
    rosegreen12 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    ma2007pmc - What I saw was what I personally found, that although I could pay attention to only lower calories when I was younger (39) I also had to, now (64) pay attention to lower carbs. That's what made a definite difference to me, personally. Course, I know that as in everything else about our physiologies, it's totally individual - that only makes sense. Probably genes. I adore carbs - all kinds (unfortunately, unhealthy ones too) but I just can't do that anymore. A large number of people can - maybe I used up my "carb allowance" for my life, lol. That said, I don't think I can not count calories. Activity, of whatever kind, is also more important now than it was.

As I said, 64, lost 61 lbs. so far, 5'7.5" and 159 lbs now.