Zumba 1 : Me 0 :(

Options
Learned a couple of things about myself this morning: 1) I'm totally uncoordinated and 2) I have no rhythm whatsoever. I'm pretty sure elephants have more rhythm than me. I tried a Zumba Express 20 Minute workout today and I totally failed at it. I couldn't keep up. I couldn't even do the moves. I'm just glad I did it in my own home because it was really embarassing and no one had to witness it. I should probably lose another 50 lbs before I attempt to try it again. I don't know how you girls (and guys) do it but hats off to you all! Very impressive!

Excuse me, while I go hide under a rock :(

Replies

• womblesgirl
    womblesgirl Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi I went to my 1st ever zumba class tonight and yes I have 2 left feet lol ok so I got a few things wrong but that was all part of the fun, cant wait till next week when I can do it all again.
  • snowwhite168
    snowwhite168 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It's great that you gave it a go but it's one of those things that you need to keep trying with. I've been doing Zumba classes now for 3 months and i love it!! I take them with my partners mum who struggled so much when she initially started. Rather than giving up she bought a belly dancing skirt which really makes you aware of how you move and after some practise sessions she's now great.
    Another thing is whatever class you go to there are always people with varying degrees of technique. In my class there are women who couldn't be described as Shakira's dance double but they give it a great go while having fun, and of course burning calories. I think you should give a class a go as you will soon realise that many people there won't have what they considor to be great co-ordination.
    Finally i must point out that in my class we have women who are over size 20 and one woman is size 26. She can't jump up and down like the rest of us but she still feels great benefits after a class so weight is definitely not a problem.
    Chin up :-)
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Don't stop - After about 3 months I still only do the Zumba in the privacy of my home, but every time I do it it gets a bit easier, and who cares what it looks like!! Do what you can - and be careful with the jumps, but it is really worth pushing yourself....

I started doing it when I weighed at least 260 lbs - and I am still well over 200..
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    You can't learn it all in one go = I felt totally humiliated after my first Zumba class, I felt like an uncoordinated great fat elephant - but after a few classes, I finally got the hang of most of the moves and started to enjoy it.

There are some great beginners tuition videos on YouTube, so you can learn the steps, or what you could do is just keep repeating one section until you get the moves. Also, for most of the moves there are alternative low impact versions which are useful as a stopgap if you're not as nimble on your feet.

The other advice I'd give you is that when you're learning a new routine, forget about your arms until you've got your legs sorted out!

Good luck. :)
  • Tabby1980
    Tabby1980 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I just did that first workout too - I was so relieved when I looked on the training schedule and it said I didn't have to do it again untill Thursday lol! I'm just hoping I get fitter before it gets harder! Good luck! x
  • Anita1990B
    Options
    I must admit I bought the zumba dvds, I was totally disappointed. The music is awful and the moves get a bit hard to keep up with. But surely its better than doing nothing.
  • wildst4r
    wildst4r Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I guess I'll give it another try in a few months. It was just really discouraging to see that I can't even do the basic moves right :(
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    hey , u had a go .. good for you .. its not about getting the moves right tho .. its about getting active doing something that u enjoy ... if u think it could be yr thing with a bit of practice then i urge u to keep trying .. u will get it !! if u think its not for you , then keep searching you will find something that keeps you moving while not feeling like a chore .. eventually !
  • wildst4r
    wildst4r Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I tried it back in April, when I was still 40 lbs heavier and it didn't work. I blamed the weight and figured if I waited a few months, I'll try it again and it'll work better. Apparently, the weight's not really the problem. I just really suck at it LOL
  • Tammyinbali
    Tammyinbali Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Haha! I loved your post! It was like you wrote my thoughts down on paper for me! I bought all the Zumba dvd's...tried the starter video once & felt like such an idiot that I never tried it again. I have never felt SO gawky & uncoordinated in my life (although I must admit that I still broke quite the sweat). After reading the other replies you've gotten from other members about how it DOES get easier I am going to blow the dust off my copies & give them another try. Thanks guys :)
  • mmelaniewalters
    Options
    honestly it doesnt matter if u suck .... as long as u sweat !!! dont worry bout what others think o f u , coz at the end of the day , we all go for the same reason .... we all feel like we r rubbish , and all really want to no thave to do it .. but the fact is if u dont shake it ... u arnt gonna get rid of it .. so shake it like a poloroid picture girl !! lose yr inhibitions , and try to just enjoy it for what it is . exercise in disguise :)
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Please don't give up. I am a Zumba instructor and I have people in my class of all different fitness levels. The point of Zumba is to have fun and just keep moving. I have ladies that couldn't move and shake at the same time and after a couple of months they are moving like pros. Give yourself some time and you'll get it. Also, do some modified steps and if you need a break march in place to keep your heart rate up.

Good Luck and keep moving!
  • mcmex4
    mcmex4 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba WII, but I'm not sure how many caloires it burns. Any suggestions?:tongue:
  • staci2476
    staci2476 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba WII, but I'm not sure how many caloires it burns. Any suggestions?:tongue:

Try zumbacalories.com it will give you a general idea. Honestly though, I think it's best to get a heart rate monitor to get an accurate burn.