Day three/I feel yucky

Options
At 46 I too have been on weight loss fads all of my life. These have helped me to gain weight. I am at my heaviest. I stared three days ago and I feel like I am going through sugar withdrawal...I am down nine pounds. It is mind blowing that I can eat so much and lose weight! Is it normal to have headache, sleepiness, and fog? It’s weird, I have cut out most of my sweets in exchange for recipes recommended on M F P. It’s working but I am having dips in energy levels. Any suggestions?

Replies

• KrissFlavored
    KrissFlavored Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Well.. the most practical suggestion would be that you dont need to get rid of sugary treats but you need to learn how to moderate them.

Changes in eating habits to more nutritious food is great and you should always keep that as the bulk of your diet, but leave space for treats.

I have chocolate everyday, fudgsicles are 100 calories and easily worked into my day.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    If you want to go sugar-free or significantly cut sugars, go for it. The first few days will be exactly like you described, because your body is still getting used to the new way of eating, especially if you went both high-sugar to low or no sugar and high calorie to high deficit at the same time. Personally, I'd give it some time and ease into both more gradually.

Kriss is right though, there's no need to give up sugary treats to lose weight unless you want to. I personally have some control issues with sugary stuff like chocolate, so I time them as an evening snack. That way there's no time left in my day to keep going back for more.
  • cugogirl2017
    cugogirl2017 Posts: 8,764 Member
    Options
    Stay with it, you are actually doing well. Consider drinking tea for dipping energy levels or having protein. Also, eating sugar makes you crave sugar, does eating fruit like strawberries help? Good luck and know that it gets easier. People on MFP are cheering you on. When I first started it helped to eat a small square or two of very dark chocolate. Good luck, you can do this!