Eat less, weigh less?

Options
Is it really that simple?
Being that I’m considered obese and would like to lose at least 60lbs, is it recommended to eat as few calories as possible? I’m almost 265lbs. I have had my calories set at 1390 a day but didn’t see much movement. Using other calculators I see that it says I need a total of 1600 and 1700 a day to lose 2 lbs a week, but I’ve been significantly lower than that some days.

Replies

• empressjasmin
    empressjasmin Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    [/b]
    Generally, you want to find a goal that will put you in a deficit while giving you enough food to meet your nutritional needs, keep up your energy, prevent excessive hunger, and prevent unnecessary muscle loss. So no, you don't want to go as low as possible.

What does "didn't see much movement" mean specifically? How long were you on 1,390? Did you not lose anything or did you lose slower than you expected?

1,390 should result in weight loss for the vast majority of people so if you aren't losing weight on that we're probably looking at not giving it sufficient time or not accurately estimating how much you're actually eating.

It was’t super long that I had been on 1390. Maybe 3 weeks. But I’d also say that there may have been 2 to 3 cheat days which could’ve thrown off things a bit.

• empressjasmin
    Options
    @janejellyroll thank you! This makes a lot of sense!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @lgfrie thank you!!!! Very very helpful!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @bmeadows380 great advice! Thank you again!
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @Avidkeo chocolate is also something that I love, so it would be important to still have it, but in moderation.

I often use measuring cups for some things, but I’ll make it a habit to always use scales.

Thanks!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It is that simple. Losing weight = eating less calories than your body burns. But not necessarily easy. Women should eat minimum of 1200/day in order to assure proper nutrition.
    BTW, lost over 1/2 my body weight through all foods in moderation, even chocolate daily, staying in a calorie deficit.
  • mkculs13
    mkculs13 Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    This thread is such a good one. Lots of little tips here to help others. Thanks to everyone for their great ideas.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @hipari great advice. My plan is to incorporate those things that I like into my daily calories so that I can continue and make it a lifestyle change. The other way would totally be setting myself up for binge eating which is counterproductive of course. Thanks a lot!
  • Caralarma
    Caralarma Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Yes it really is that simple, there is just so much misinformation out there, that people get confused and think they need to cut carbs and live on gluten free cardboard etc
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    @hipari Oooooooh, well stated, my friend!!!!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Great thread! OP, you've gotten great advice and have a great attitude, and will do well.
  • empressjasmin
    Options
    @lemurcat2 I’m super thankful for all the helpful advice here! It has already begun helping me! 😊
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I also lost weight by eating the same stuff as before, but smaller portions. Whilst you're getting the hang of it, maybe set your weight loss rate to 1.5lb a week instead of 2lb in the MFP setup screen, as that will give you more calories to eat. It'll take longer, but it's far easier to gradually adjust how much you're eating without feeling hungry and therefore the need cheat.