Weight struggle

Options
HawkeyeRick
HawkeyeRick Posts: 1 Member
Gday folks, Hawkeye here.
I’ve only been on this app for a week.
I’ve been logging every single thing I eat and exercise.
Because of exercise I struggle getting to the recommended calorie intake.
My plan is to lose 500g pw.
Considering that I’m not quite reaching the calorie goal, and I’m exercise daily, after logging diary it say I would lose about 7 kg in 5 weeks the way I’m going.
But after a week I went from 82.3 to 83.0 kg.
It’s got me beat.

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Are you doing new-to-you exercise? Your muscles will retain water to repair themselves and this will hide the fat loss for a couple weeks until your muscles get used to the exercise.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it seems that you are logging in grams, which is great (and that you skipped a meal on Saturday night ... if you didn't, you forgot to log that :smile: ) The caveat with logging is choosing entries in the database that are correct, which can be a problem sometimes because it seems like three quarters of them aren't. Just toss the "in 5 weeks" number out the window. It's pretty useless as a metric, really.

The next area to look at is what you chose for your "activity level," how active you are in a day excluding planned exercise.

Then there is the exercise input and how you are calculating that. If you are using data from devices that calculate calories from heart rate, and your exercise is generally *not* running or walking but includes more resistance/weight work, the number will be terribly over-inflated. The other issue with HR-based calculations is that if you are pretty out of shape, the number will be over-inflated as well.

The final calculation has to do with how lean you are presently - the last few kgs can be a bear.

After all of that, the final bit has to do with the fact that "scale weight" is a blunt instrument measure. If you just started exercising, it's likely that you have gained a kg or more from inflammation-induced water weight. If you are eating differently, your digestive process may be slower. You can read more about all of that here: https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/

Which leads me to my last point - 1 week is not enough time to evaluate progress.