Workout at home with dumbbells and body weight

Options
brtgl
brtgl Posts: 129 Member
I have a pair of 15 lb and a pair of 20 lb dumbbells. Where can I find a workout to help me burn another 15 pounds off this 190 pound body and also gain some muscle in chest, shoulders and arms?

Replies

• Davionmadison1067
    Davionmadison1067 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why not muscle on your back
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I would recommend doing full body. Keep in mind your opposing muscle groups(ex: bicep/tricep) and push-pull movements. Try to balance everything out.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    "Where can I find a workout to help me burn another 15 pounds off this 190 pound body"

Cycle for one hour every day at a net calorie burn rate of 500cals/hour for 105 days. That's roughly 16mph for me so about 1.680 miles. That's just to show the time commitment needed to use exercise to create a calorie deficit.
    (I'll let you do the mathematics for strength training if it burned 200cals/hour....)

A balanced lifting routine would be better - there are dumbbell routines in the Which Lifting Program is Best For You in the sticky threads pinned to the top of the Fitness and Exercise forum.

• MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Great question. Fat is lost by being hypocaloric. In other words eating less calories than you burn. We naturally burn calories as we live (BMR). We also burn calories as we train and do cardio as said above. The is a baseline calorie amount you need to be healthy. Above that baseline will be a theoretical amount to maintain your current state. Eating above that would be for gaining fat or muscle mass depending on if you are training.

So your question is really two fold. What is your BMR or base calories required? MFP calculates that as you set your goal. Be honest answering the questions. Then set you daily calorie target above it and monitor to ensure you are not losing more than 1 lb per week.

A muscular or lean body burns additional or more calories while you are at rest. Building muscle accelerates your fat loss. But muscle is more dense than fat. As you add muscle your may be heavier on the scale but less fat. So the scale may not change but the net effect is you will be fitter.

I like AthleanX for dumbbell exercises. YouTube search the channel.

I would also suggest bodyweight exercises. In fact if you are just getting started this is the better option. YouTube search Calisthenicmovement
  • gjw5000
    gjw5000 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Use this app, it's free and I'm getting great results!

v4imorvzyfam.jpg
  • RepswithRyan
    RepswithRyan Posts: 171 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    It’s tough to lose fat and build muscle mass but you can get toned from lower bodyfat which can make you look more muscular.

Here’s a Dumbbell only workout
    https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/5-day-dumbbell-only-workout-split
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    There's a bunch of stuff like this around for bodyweight exercises: https://www.amazon.com/You-Are-Your-Own-Gym/dp/0345528581 (Also stuff on YouTube.)

Most bodyweight focused exercises I don't like (I just find weighs more fun), but I'm in the same position as my dumbbell collection is lame and barbell non-existent.

TRX is probably order-able now and might be an alternative/supplement.