Ok whats the secret to losing the stomach?

Options
Hi

My stomach is my worst area, what excercise is the most effective in your experience?

Replies

• hm_day
    hm_day Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to spot reduce. The best thing you can do is continue to eat well to lose overall body fat, but in order to tone the stomach, do crunches and other ab work.
  • SeanMurphy
    Options
    It's impossible to spot reduce. The best thing you can do is continue to eat well to lose overall body fat, but in order to tone the stomach, do crunches and other ab work.

This. Spot reduction is another of those myths that refuses to die.
  • rolliepollie087
    rolliepollie087 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, you have to lose overall to improve anything. Meaning you can't just concentrate on one area for improvement, however working the tummy a little extra probably wouldn't hurt :)
  • evelyngrice
    evelyngrice Posts: 350 Member
    Options

This hits the nail on the head :)
  • haileemou
    Options
    What is spot reduction? Ooh and NSV ive seen this on the forum i wasnt sure!

Yeah what i mean is, toning and building muscle, what excercises are the best? Ofcourse losing weight will reduce it!
  • nsimportant
    nsimportant Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Exercise like normal
    Btw dont do too much upper abs do lower abs workout ... unless you like blocky abs

Area: Lower stomach
    Problem: Cortisol Dysfunction
    Solution: Eliminate allergenic foods, mental stress,and get plenty of sleep and be happy.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Keep working on your calories. Work outs, concentrate on your big muscle groups,
  • yaddayaddayadda
    yaddayaddayadda Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Exercise and eat less. The only time my stomach goes away is when I get to my goal weight. I do that by eating less and exercising. For me exercise = walking 5 miles at least 4 times per week and yoga 3 times per week. When I stop exercising and fall off the wagon food-wise, my stomach comes right back.:grumble:
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    Hey if you don't go to the gym or anything. I recommend couch to 5k. Its free, you can start today.
    If you have an ipod or androis phone they have apps for it, but you can just use a stop watch,

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • dorene432
    Options
    you have to lose the weight first. crunches will tone the muscles. fast walking will help you slim down proportionally :wink:
  • haileemou
    Options
    billsica thats an interesting one! Will have a look for the app!
  • FattySins
    Options
    Spot reducing = Improving one specific area

NSV = Non scale victory (ie - fitting in a favourite pair of jeans, reducing medicine etc)

I think! :-)

As for your tummy - overall loss of weight, improving general fitness and working on your core muscles seems to be favourite opinions.

Good luck!
  • haileemou
    Options
    Spot reducing = Improving one specific area

NSV = Non scale victory (ie - fitting in a favourite pair of jeans, reducing medicine etc)

I think! :-)

As for your tummy - overall loss of weight, improving general fitness and working on your core muscles seems to be favourite opinions.

Good luck!

Great thanks! Im not great with the abbreviations!
  • wedjul05
    Options
    I do swissball core exercises to get rid of my mummy tummy. Found it great. I also started a new circuit programme which includes running and found it great until i hurt my ankles. But I am dying to get back to it to lose the weight around my tummy/sides.
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Any exercises that involve your core will do. But diet is the most important for getting rid of the tummy. I don't like doing crunches, but I love doing planks, side planks, jack knife on stability ball, side bends with dumb bells or plates, russian twists with med. ball...Also, if you do squats on a bossu, you will get your core working.
  • kyliehedges
    Options
    Zumba is great for toning the middle and fun too!
  • lexgem
    lexgem Posts: 163
    Options
    Just adding to what everyone else said, but I know some foods cause bloating or water retention so if you improve your diet you can improve this. I'm still in the process of figuring out which foods help and which don't for myself.
  • haileemou
    Options
    Yep im loving fruits and vegetables and meat! All fairly plain! No bloating! No millions of carbs! Carbs for me is straight to my stomach!

Im quite fancing the couch to 5k...
  • ingeh
    ingeh Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I had a baby 4months ago so am in the same boat hailee! Im just making sure I do plenty of exercise and eating good. Iv lost 1inch already and as I get closer to my goal il add ab work to my routine
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    She only asked for which exercises help the stomach area, so there was no question of spot reducing.

I like (well, not like, but see good results from) anything that works my obliques, so that's a lot of cross crunches with your legs in the air. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogBk-xUY7SQ