addicted to choc?!?

Options
:grumble: anybody addicted to chocolate here? i try and be good but always (everynight) binge on chocolate and i feel crap until i have it! feel good whilst eating it and satified........ then the next day i am so anoyed with myself! but i cant stop! its worse than a cigarette craving! and iam a bit*h until i get my chocolate fix! anyone simular?

Replies

• lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: What is wrong with eating chocolate in moderation....as long as you have the calories to spare it shouldn't be a problem for you to reach your goal.
    Good luck!
  • strangelady
    Options
    the fat and sugar is redic! and i dint eat it in moderation lol
  • tagmd
    Options
    It calls to me.
    Wakes me in the night.
    I hear it, standing there in the fresh fruit section of the grocery store, my hand testing an apple's firmness, I hear it... first softly, like a distant soothing wave. Suddenly its more crushing, slapping against my senses. I'm enveloped now, its smell, its texture,...the apple drops, my cart turns & there it is, my trusted enemy in my cart, the jumbo pack of course.
    It owns my nights.

So I don't fight it - instead, I break it down to pieces and allow one uncharted, uncounted, uncontrolled square of chocolate each and every night.

I prefer a plain jane Hershey bar - broken into its little squares.

Istead of chewing my nightly square, I put its milk chocolatey creamyness on my tongue and let it melt itself away.

This way it lasts a longer time, feels like I ate more than I did and gives me the satisfaction of owning it - instead of the other way around.

It becomes sort of a contest - first contest is how long can I wait for it - an hour after dinner, two hours.. next contest is how long will it last before it has completely dissolved away... a whole commercial... longer than last night's piece... somewhat takes the focus off the craving & for me it also breaks down some of the guilt and helps me accept who I am, or something.
  • actbjm1
    Options
    I have to have chocolate every day, my treat is chocolate pudding-sugar free with mini chocolate chips or a Hershey small candy bar or something... love DARK chocolate. I have learned to work into my diet so I don't "cheat", than I don't feel guilty and eat too much.. you know, I have already done it I will just eat this and now more and then repeat the same mistake every day....
  • december8teen
    Options
    I loveeee chocolates too! I know how you feel...the guilt of after having them. But the key is to eat in moderation. As long as you still have calories to spare, a little indulgence wouldn't hurt. ;)

Alternatively, work it off by exercising! Chocolate provides lots of energy, it'll be great to use them off at the gym (or other form of exercises).
  • strangelady
    Options
    i try the whole moderation thing.... i cant do it! think i will have to completely ban myself! although i have tried this too and didnt succeed? xxxxxxxx
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    I don't think chocolate itself is bad, its just a matter of how many calories you consume.

Maybe try to shift the *kind* of chocolate you eat. Instead of chocolate-flavored stuff (pudding, shakes, ice cream, ...) or chocolate-covered stuff (Snickers, Milky Way, etc.) try eating straight chocolate instead. Just a solid chocolate bar.

Then, see if you can shift your taste from milk chocolate towards dark. Really taste the chocolate itself, and try to think of all the other cr^p as a distraction, worthless junk that keeps you from tasting how good the chocolate really is.

And don't gobble the chocolate down. Break off a piece, put it in your mouth, and let it just melt on your tongue. No chewing !

I've gotten to where I like the Lindt 70% chocolate bars. The taste is really strong, like drinking espresso. I get chocolate cravings at night, and those things are so strong that if I have too much I can't sleep afterwards. But I find that a small amount goes a long ways towards satisfying the cravings. That, plus a need for sleep, helps me draw the line.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Half of a Hershey's Special Dark with almonds is only 95 calories. That's less than a banana. My husband keeps me stocked up. They're really rich. Sometimes, I'll break it into quarters but I usually end up eating half anyhow. I'd much rather have half a candy bar than any of the "100 calorie" diet desserts.
  • pepperedmoth
    pepperedmoth Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is perfectly healthy in moderation- no need to feel guilty. If moderation is impossible once you have it in the house, then just don't buy any. Wait until your cravings subside and then try again to buy a bar and only eat some of it.

I love chocolate, too. I buy a bar roughly once every other week and eat a portion of it daily until it's gone- maybe 150 calories worth a day. As someone else said, that's roughly a banana of calories, and it's easy to compensate by eating a little less otherwise.

Perhaps you could try buying one (1) truffle or small piece at a time. Then when you inevitably eat all of it, you'd still be all right.
  • phlumpet
    phlumpet Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! I'm working on late night snacking as well. Some tips to try: save some extra calories for the end of the night, and have a little cookie or brownie or a glass of chocolate almond milk or something ready for you to nibble on at the end of the day. I used to come home from work at 12:15am and not be able to stop myself from eating sweets to unwind. This has worked better for me. Also, eating my dinners later since I know I am going to bed later helps.
  • bug1114
    bug1114 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I love it too. I try not to keep it in the house because I can't seem to say no to it. :grumble:
  • strangelady
    Options
    I Will Try The Dark Choc Suggestion... Thanks All You Beauties
  • strangelady
    Options
    I Will Try The Dark Choc Suggestion... Thanks All You Beauties
  • kikican82
    Options
    I have a major sweet tooth too. I know a lot of people already do this, but I tried it for the first time this weekend and fell in love. If you add just a few chocolate chips to a regular bowl of oatmeal, it ends up tasting like a warm, delicious, oatmeal chocolate chip cookie. Fresh and gooey. Delicious. Not sure if this will satisfy your craving, but wanted to throw it out there.
  • easpitz
    easpitz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    First off, feel good about your chocolate addiction - it's better than an alochol, cigaretts or drug addiction.
    Try a high quality chocolate - preferably dark chocolate. I get a bag of the Dove silky smooth dark chocoalte with almonds. They come in small squares, and 5 squares are 210 calories. Just unwrap one and eat slowly - enjoy the taste! Don't pop it in your mouth like an M and M!! I usually have 1 or 2 and then call it quits - that. Good luck!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Try a good dark chocolate that is 75% or higher. I eat one ounce of 85% dark chocolate every night...sometimes 2 ounces! It's lower in sugar than milk chocolate but much richer, so there's no way I could eat more than 2 ounces.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    You're all a bunch of lightweights - can only eat so much dark chocolate?! Tee hee! :wink:
  • jjs22
    jjs22 Posts: 156
    Options
    You're all a bunch of lightweights - can only eat so much dark chocolate?! Tee hee! :wink:

Only if I plan on sleeping !