Newbie here

Options
Hello!

I've been struggling with my weight since I was a high school student and I'm currently 21 years old. Growing up, I had really unhealthy eating habits. My parents used to give my siblings and I our allowance each month at the supermarket and being kids we spent it on chips, candy, and ice cream. This kind of eating finally caught up with me once I finished middle school and I gained weight. When I went to college I also gained the "freshman 15" to boot. I'm 5'5 (165cm) female and currently weigh about 148 lbs (67kg) and am looking to be in the 115-125lb (52-56.8kg) range. My range is just an estimate; if I can shed the body fat I want to lose but end up weight more than 125 lbs I wouldn't mind. I'm looking to lose fat, gain some muscle and be healthier in general. I've tried dieting a lot in the past but I often lose motivation and give up after the first few weeks. I have a problem with eating when I'm bored and overeating during meals. I also lack motivation when it comes to exercise and more often than not I give up when it gets too hard or when I don't see results soon enough (image wise, not scale wise). I'm originally from the US but I'm currently living in Japan and eat out 2-3 times a week. Sorry for the long schpeel, but any help/motivation would be greatly appreciated. Nice to meet you all!

Replies

• healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    MFP is a great tool to help you get on your way and achieve your goals.
  • jeepgirl001
    Options
    Welcome to MFP. It is a fantastic site to help you on your journey. The people offer great support and advice. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck:)
  • Jacquibennett
    Jacquibennett Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Welcome and good luck!! Its not easy staying motivated so the more support you have the better. Feel free to add me as a friend too and I'll do my best to keep you motivated!! :)
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    There is lots of support here and, for me at least, that translates into motivation. We all share the same problems and dreams here so we can all really relate. Welcome and good luck!!
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, as the others have said you will find terrific support her and I am sure with it you will do well. It isn't easy to do things on your own as we have all tried it. I am fairly new to MFP too and have found it a great help. Remember to fill your diary each day as that helps a lot, I find I am more honest to myself because others will see my food diary. If you have a smart phone like an iPhone and don't have the app for this site then download it as it is a free app and is brilliant, being on your phone which if you like most people it goes everywhere with you so you can add to your food diary throughout the day so no excuses for not doing it or " accident'y forgetting something " The other thing that is brilliant with the app on the phone is it can read barcodes too so it is easy to get info and help with shopping as well. Good luck with your weight loss and you may add me if you like