Recommendations for good vegetarian protein powders available in the UK please.

Options
Hello, I am having trouble reaching my protein goals while working out at a high level (for me). I am a vegetarian but limited in beans, pulses and some vegetable intake due to IBS. I eat tofu, nut butters and the occasional egg, and I can cope with a certain amount of chickpeas. I need a powder I can use after my workouts. I don't like artificial flavours. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Replies

• huntleigh3229
    huntleigh3229 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I really like the Whey Protein 80 from The Protein Works
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    Anniejazz wrote: »
    Hello, I am having trouble reaching my protein goals while working out at a high level (for me). I am a vegetarian but limited in beans, pulses and some vegetable intake due to IBS. I eat tofu, nut butters and the occasional egg, and I can cope with a certain amount of chickpeas. I need a powder I can use after my workouts. I don't like artificial flavours. Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

I'm not sure whether you are looking for plant-based protein or if whey is ok. For whey, I like https://smile.amazon.com/Biochem-Ultimate-protein-Natural-24-6-Ounce/dp/B0015QSU9Q/. This also comes in vanilla, which I found overpoweringly vanilla.

I recently discovered the stevia in my chocolate protein powder (another brand) was upsetting my stomach, so when I want chocolate PP just add 9 g sugar and 5 g baking cocoa to this.

I'm assuming Amazon ships to you, but it is also available on Swanson, Vitacost, etc.
  • Anniejazz
    Anniejazz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I am prepared to use whey or a plant-based. I'll try the ones you two have suggested. It is so difficult to make the 40:30:30 C:P:F ratios I want.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I like the PhD Diet Whey.
    For plant-based try That Protein - they are also fodmap compliant so could be good for you.

I have IBS too and neither of these brands has irritated my stomach too much.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I’d try a high quality whey isolate
    Less chance of potentially upsetting your ibs
    Drop an email to the companies below
    They we’ll probably send you some sample isolate flavours to try to see if you tolerate it.

Bulk powders
    My protein
    The protein works