how many cals do you net per day?

Options
2»

Replies

• Crystalchaos72
    Options
    I net 2300-3700 depending on the day, I exercise less than I used to because I can't healthfully eat all those cals back, so I exercise less in frequency and it is working for me. I am on maintainence now and my setting are too low on mfp, so I tested it and came up with my own number.

I am also concerned about some of these young ladies/ladies restricting cals too much. This is supposed to be a sustainable lifestyle that you can do forever.......I hope you eat some more so you can be healthy!
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I'm netting 1150-1200 cals a day. I set my goal to 0.5 lb a week, which increased my intake to 1450-1500 cals on workout days. I rarely go hungry now that I'm eating back my exercise calories. Sure, my weight loss is slow, but it's expected when you don't have much to lose. I'd rather lose weight slowly and feel full while doing it than starve myself and be hungry the whole time.

I wish some people would realize that weight loss is not a race.
  • ElleC
    ElleC Posts: 37
    Options
    Mine varies per day, depending on how much exercise I do, but I guess on average 1400 cals is what I am netting. For me personally, the goal is to lose weight, keep it off AND be able to exercise on a daily basis. I cant exercise if I dont eat enough.. It's about being HEALTHY not thin.

I think the key to sustainable weightloss is understanding that you have to do things right now, that you can keep doing when you hit your goal weight. I have lost a lot of weight before, and put it all back on because all I did was count calories.

Everyone has to do it their own way. This is mine, yours is yours. Just dont go hungry. Good healthy food is your best friend. :)
  • BeastieGirl
    Options
    I agree with the comments about how low some of the calorie consumption is, especially if you are exercising regularly as well. I know we primarily use this site to lose weight, and I have done, but I'm increasingly altering my viewpoint to make my goal staying fit and healthy. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but personally, I find I'm getting too obssessed with weight and failing to celebrate the fact that I'm a damn sight fitter than I've ever been in my life, and I'm loving it.

Good luck with your goals and look after yourselves xxxxxx
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I try to net around 1600-1700. Yesterday I ate around 2000, but when on a 4 mile run.
  • chelebevs
    chelebevs Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That was my reaction. Folks, if you don't eat enough your body will go in to starvation mode and then you will either stop losing weight or gain it back like crazy when you eat even a normal amount of calories. Believe me, I have played this game off and on for the last 30+ years. And my body will not be tricked. It only loses weight if I stay just under my needs and exercise.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments about how low some of the calorie consumption is, especially if you are exercising regularly as well. I know we primarily use this site to lose weight, and I have done, but I'm increasingly altering my viewpoint to make my goal staying fit and healthy. I'm not trying to tell anyone else what to do, but personally, I find I'm getting too obssessed with weight and failing to celebrate the fact that I'm a damn sight fitter than I've ever been in my life, and I'm loving it.

Good luck with your goals and look after yourselves xxxxxx
    Well, it's not like losing weight and staying fit and healthy are mutually exclusive. You can eat healthy amounts of calories and still lose weight, and at quite a decent pace, too.
  • meggers123
    meggers123 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My average is 1200-1300 net. But I usually earn 200 calories a day (or more) from exercise. I rarely (if ever) go over 1400 or under 1200.
  • reignjonas
    reignjonas Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm given 1660 calories per day to lose 2lbs a week, and that's what I'd be doing if I was trying to lose in a "normal" way, but I'm on the Medifast plan so I regularly only eat about 900 - 1000 calories. I don't eat my exercise calories because Medifast is a pretty strict program, but Medifast is also pretty strict about how often and for how long you should be exercising so you don't overdo it. I tell you though, I'm excited to continue using MFP once I've hit my goal weight to help me maintain it in a healthy way. :)
  • abby459
    abby459 Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    People tell me that my NET cals are too low....I eat around 1400-1500 a day, but then after working out it always Nets to around 900. But if anyone actually looked at my diary I eat alllll day long and very healthy and filling things. I average around 90-110gm of protein a day and 150gm carbs....there is no way that I could eat more even if I tried. My calories would only go higher if I added a peice of cake or candy bar everyday.....something high cal but small, and I dont see the point in that...so do what works for you!
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    my GOALS are to net about 1300 to 1600 / day
  • Shausil82
    Shausil82 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site too, so I'm trying to figure out the whole net calorie thing. I exercise everyday, sometimes burning over 1,000 calories a day. Trying to eat back 1,000 calories is very hard for me to do. I have been losing weight, but, my net calories have been too small. Lately it's been 300-700, and that's not good. I want to get up to netting closer to where I'm supposed to net, and that's 1,200. Today, I'm going to try to net 1,100 calories, and see what happens.

Another thing about the net calories, and I don't know if anyone else has this problem...since I've only netted 300-700 calories, I've been very moody. I'm wondering if that's my body's way of telling me, "Feed me, dammit!:"

It takes time to figure out what works for you. What I've been doing the past week, doesn't exactly work for long term weight loss, plus looking at what it's doing to my attitude and sleep, my body definitely needs more.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I just upped my goal to 1860. Before it was 1750 but I went over a lot. I keep track of my totals in excel and pay more attention to a weekly average. It's been around 2000 NET. I've lost 10lbs since 6/20.
  • bhagavatilad1
    Options
    I net around 1300 and sometimes more and I don't always exercise but you can log different activities such as gardening etc. so its all up to the individual. I've found you won't lose as much weight as expected if you slack off. Good Luck
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I am speechless at most of these responses! So few calories for so many of you!

My net calorie goal is 1720, but with exercise I rarely eat less than 2100-2200 calories a day. I'm losing weight at a pretty consistent rate - 32 pounds since April 10th.
  • Niveous
    Niveous Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I net around 1600-1800 calories, but usually eat anywhere between 2000-2,600 calories a day. I exercise almost every day, including strength training three times a week, and always eat back my exercise calories.