Water?

Options
Hi all

I just wondered if you count tea / coffee towards your daily water intake or just plain glasses of water??

Thanks

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    if it has caffine in then, no it does not count as water
  • u04kmm5
    u04kmm5 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this as I was going to post a similar question.
    I drink about 5/6 large glasses of water a day, but diluting with a "no added sugar" diluting juice (overall I make it fairly week).
    I presume this is the same as just drinking water too?
  • Smelerz
    Smelerz Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i add a squirt of lemon or lime juice or sometimes a half ounce of pom juice to mix things up.
  • suzymorris
    Options
    I'm glad you asked this as I was going to post a similar question.
    I drink about 5/6 large glasses of water a day, but diluting with a "no added sugar" diluting juice (overall I make it fairly week).
    I presume this is the same as just drinking water too?

I too add no added sugar squash and v weak - so hoping that does count as no water!!

I thought as much re caffeine.

Thanks all :happy:
  • mojox2003
    mojox2003 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I used to add to my water but not iv got so used to it I just have plain old water, but no to the question lol, you cant class tea or coffee
  • slay0r
    slay0r Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I think green tea is ok however, it's all water surely?!
  • fujax2005
    Options
    I don't normally count coffee, tea, juice, milk, or anything other than water as water. But this is just because I tend to drink a lot of water anyway.

However, I disagree with people saying you can't count caffeinated beverages towards your water intake. There has been a lot of research lately that reputes the old idea that caffeinated beverages are actually dehydrating. But not everyone agrees... you can google it and read both sides, then make your own decision about whether or not to count it.
  • Kipper66
    Kipper66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hi, I count all my liquid intake as water count, fruit juice (yes I add to my calorie count, but also as water as all fruit and veg do carry a certain amount of water) and I have read somewhere (quite a while ago) that this does count as your water intake (even if its just half the amount of a glass of water overall), plus I drink decaf tea (no sugar), and milk, as liquids they are there to quench thirst. Just remember to include them as part of your meal plan or snacks if not just plain water (or with added very weak cordial), so you are including your calories.
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    If I drink it, I count it.

Search the topic. Tons of opinions on this one!
  • Charrah
    Options
    I think you should still count your tea/coffee but at the same time up your water intake if you are having caffinated drinks.
    I don't drink coffee but have approx 4 cups of tea a day on top of 2 litres of water.
  • ammient3
    ammient3 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I think plain water (maybe fresh lemon/lime is fine) but water is also to help flush your body not just to drink and hydrate you! Pretty pointless to put sugar and caffeine into your body if your flushing out all the bad! The saying is drink water, not drink fluids! It I have read up a lot on this because I hate water and I force myself to drink it, I use to believe drink 8floz a day now I've learned that you take your body weight and divide in half and that's how many oz of PLAIN water you should drink daily! I'm sure people are going to disagree but this is only my opinion!! Good luck with your journey!!
  • techymum
    Options
    Personally, I don't count anything except plain water. I do drink coffee, but my goal in getting stronger,healthier is to cut out the bad stuff and fill up with the good. I am simply trying to train myself to drink more water.

When I started I was probably drinking 6-8 oz a day. Def not enough!