Diet fizzy drinks

Options
Has any one else heard that drinking diet coke, pepsi etc is bad for weight loss. I like a can every now and then as it helps with the sweet craving and does give you a full feeling for a while. But I am now concerned that it may be bad for me when trying to lose weight. Any comments, advice etc appreciated

Replies

• abbie017
    Options
    I drink a can of diet coke/coke zero every single day, and I've lost 26 pounds since April. I refuse to give up diet soda, since this is changing my lifestyle, and not a "diet." It's really all your choice and what works for you. Some people are adamant about not drinking any form of soda, and others don't really care.

However, I don't count it as water and do try to drink an extra couple glassesof water to counteract anything "bad" that may come from it.
  • stella77
    Options
    No, it is not bad for your weight loss - it is 0 kcal after all :)

But I read - and from experience believe this to be true - drinking too much diet soda does make you crave sweets. It certailnly happens to me.
    I still drink it though, but a can or two a day - as opposed to 4-5 or more I used to have.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I still drink diet fizzy drinks . . . they get me through some rough times . . . like my ride home after a night shift. Water doesn't do it for me, but a diet coke will keep me from pulling into Burger King for a huge breakfast sausage treat. I reserve them for "needed" occasions, and focus on drinking water during the day. Some people do have a pretty significant loss when they eliminate all fizzy drinks from their diets, but I say do what works for you.
  • grobbygru
    grobbygru Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have read some things about it confusing something in your brain and people actually turning diabetic and gaining weight from it. I would be wary about those aspartimes etc in that stuff. Do some research on it. It's not very good for you.
    Easy for me to say though cos I hate all of that stuff - diet or not.
  • hannahlbur
    hannahlbur Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I have heard that there have been studies to show that diet drinks can make your body think it is getting sugar so it reacts the same way as if processing sugar and that can lead to weight gain. Think it is one of those things where you will hear all different studies showing different things. I have also heard that it can possibly contribute to osteoporosis as it can block your calcium absorption but again not sure if this is definite! It probably gives you cancer too as it seems that everyday there is a new study revealing something that gives you cancer.

I am very partial to diet coke but am trying to cut down as I drink a lot of it!!
  • joannasaurusrex
    Options
    There has been some recent research that the artificial sweeteners in diet drinks do something to the insulin in your body, and in turn your body finds it harder to burn fat. I can't find the exact article, but I'd googled something like "diet coke and weight loss".

I used to drink a lot of diet coke, thinking it wasn't doing any harm because it was 0 calories, but I definitely struggled to shift those pounds. Now I just drink half a can of real coke if I fancy a sugar hit - at least it's real sugar, that my body knows how to process! Now that I've moved away from diet drinks, I find myself kind of uncomfortable with the idea of drinking so many chemicals (I know normal coke isn't great either, but diet is way worse!)

Diet drinks (or fizzy drinks in general) kind of go against our "healthy living" ideas, we eat really healthily and exercise loads... but then drink cans of chemical?! I find it really strange when I think about it like that - but it makes me realise that I can't expect my body to be able to process it efficiently :)
  • kermitsbride
    Options
    as has been said before fizzy drinks in general are not good for you especially in large quantities, diet fizzy drinks (especially branded ones) contain asparteme which is a bad sweetener for a number of reasons, if you google aspateme you will find all the research, but it is also present in some cordials/squash drinks and flavoured water too

the odd can now and again isn't going to do too much harm, i havs CFS and know that asparteme is not good for my condition but still have one now and again, this has increased to 1 a day recently but thats only cause the local shop has a 2 for 1 on 6 packs lol