Calories

Options
I'm a month in and lost 15 pounds the first 2 weeks(yes I know its water weight but weight is weight.) The last 2 weeks the scale didnt move and when it did this morning, it was a gain (I know why.) I'm 280# and the app says for me to eat 1450 calories. Do people normally go by this or set their own calorie goals? I feel like 1450 calories is alot but it could just be perception. I was eating 1200-1300calories the first 2 weeks. I have not been working out yet at all. Trying to regroup so I can kick month #2's @$$!

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Current weight/goal weight?

1450 isn’t that many calories - it’s more likely that your ‘gain’ was also due to water weight (from hormones on a month cycle; or saltier meal etc)
  • Joannamarie062016
    Joannamarie062016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Current weight 277. Goal weight...180-200. My gain was bc of me not doing so hot for a few days before and going well over my calories.
  • suzgzlz
    suzgzlz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow! 15# in 2 weeks is a lot. Good for you! I'm new to calorie counting & first day on this app.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Do women still retain water at different times of the month if they have gone thru menopause?...if I binge I can easily put on 10 to 12 lbs in a couple of days...currently I lost about 13 lbs the last week because of a gain from binging...I know these are two separate issues..happily I hit my lowest weight since May 28,2020...I hope to hit an 80 lb loss by then...
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Do women still retain water at different times of the month if they have gone thru menopause?...if I binge I can easily put on 10 to 12 lbs in a couple of days...currently I lost about 13 lbs the last week because of a gain from binging...I know these are two separate issues..happily I hit my lowest weight since May 28,2020...I hope to hit an 80 lb loss by then...

No, not on regular monthly cycles IME, in menopause (once fully there). But water fluctuations, sometimes big ones, still happen for a bunch of other reasons, even in menopause. I'm deep in menopause, and maintaining weight, and I've weighed anything up and down between extremes of 129.6 to 133.6 in the past 10 days, without anything particularly odd going on to cause it. Healthy bodies have water fluctuations.

This would be a good read, for you and OP, if you haven't already read it (because bodies are weird ;) ):

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm 280# and the app says for me to eat 1450 calories. Do people normally go by this or set their own calorie goals? I feel like 1450 calories is alot but it could just be perception.

It's your perception :wink: I weigh 170lbs and I'm eating between 1750 and 2000 calories on average, and I'm still losing weight (albeit slowly, and I am quite active too).
    Don't forget that a heavier body needs more calories just to 'exist' too. You had extreme water weight loss, I think your body is just rebalancing its water weight, no need eat even less and starve yourself. Just be patient and it will happen!