DOMS or overstretching?

Options
Hello! I recently created new goals for myself: Eating healthy, working out, training to do the splits.

I've worked out and stretched 4 days in a row.

Since my first day working out, I've had pain in the muscles behind my legs which I thought was normal muscle soreness from working out, so I continued to workout and stretch as normal. Last night I did the front splits for the first time (barely, but I got there lol) with the left leg in front. I still can't do the splits with the right leg in front. But then I started wondering if maybe the pain is from overstretching.

I've been googling and sources that talk about DOMS say that it is good to stretch to relieve pain.
Sources that talk about how to train for the splits say that you should stretch everyday.

If it's only DOMS, I want to continue to stretch so I don't lose my progress.
If I did in fact, overstretch my legs muscles, I'll take a break from stretching so that I don't injure myself

Can anyone help me understand how to feel the difference so I know which action to take?
Thank you and good luck to everyone here in all your goals!

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Both can cause micro tears in the muscle, which would result in muscle soreness. Unless you actually strained something, it would be hard to tell the difference.
  • nogymhero
    nogymhero Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Since your soreness is very localized I would doubt it's DOMS. This doesn't mean it's really an issue, there are a lot of minor strains, etc that are normal when you first start working out but just watch and make sure it doesn't get worse. I would also be careful not to stretch too aggressively if this aggravates your pain. Anything that causes your pain to flare up you should probably avoid until it resolves and if it gets worse you might want to see a doctor about it.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,499 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm working on learning the splits as well! One thing for getting there: read how to do stretches properly, especially on how to hold the pelvis during stretches and which muscles to contract. Are you using a certain programme for it? I'm still searching to be honest. One thing I did notice: I get an awful lot of actual doms in my glutes :D
  • yirara
    Options
    OH, I did manage to get down to about 5-6cm on one side today! Just for a short moment, mind, but 7-8 is possible.
  • shavedice87
    shavedice87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    yirara wrote: Β»
    Hey, I'm working on learning the splits as well! One thing for getting there: read how to do stretches properly, especially on how to hold the pelvis during stretches and which muscles to contract. Are you using a certain programme for it? I'm still searching to be honest. One thing I did notice: I get an awful lot of actual doms in my glutes :D

Cool! Was it a quarantine goal? It was for me πŸ˜… And yes I was using this video!

https://youtu.be/GTBB3IekEwY

I was able to do left front splits on day 4, but not the right front. My left leg is more flexible than my right for some reason. My right leg hurts a bit more as well. Not sure if it's injured or just sore, so I'm not sure if I should continue stretching or not. Damned if you do, damned if you don't πŸ˜…
  • shavedice87
    shavedice87 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    OH, I did manage to get down to about 5-6cm on one side today! Just for a short moment, mind, but 7-8 is possible.

Congrats! How long have you been doing it? Practice everyday but also take your time and don't over do it so you don't hurt yourself and you'll get there! πŸ‘βœŠ
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you haven't worked out before or in a long time, your first bout of DOMS can very well last 5 days. I find that my hamstrings are specifically susceptible to long-lasting DOMS, as well as my quads - but the hammies are the worst.

If it feels okay, you can stretch with DOMS. I doubt you will stretch far enough to hurt yourself. I doubt a day or two will significantly hurt your progress either, it's a marathon, not a sprint. Being more flexible is a lifetime pursuit. I know you have a measurable goal, but that doesn't mean you have to rush to it.
  • yirara
    edited May 2020
    Options

Congrats! How long have you been doing it? Practice everyday but also take your time and don't over do it so you don't hurt yourself and you'll get there! πŸ‘βœŠ

Totally. I know I'm in for the long ride here. Hey, I've been siting on my bum since earliest childhood, thus for 46 years now (kind of. I preferred reading, and could not run like other kids due to a nasty low bloodpressure issue). Thus I was super tight. Plus my sciatic nerve is a real pain. So yes, lockdown goals and all, I thought why not. At my own pace and with ample regeneration time.