Struggling with Mountain Biking

Options
2»

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    @Lastchancetochange, if you're not already doing so I suggest tracking your rides in Strava. It's a great way to gauge your improvements on trails you frequent.

I use it but what do you mean?

I like to see my improvements in my times on different segments and by riding some of the same trails that are areas I used to walk that now I don't have to come off my bike for. Some days I think I suck and yet I will have a PR.
  • amorfati601070
    amorfati601070 Posts: 2,862 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Have you got suitable gearing for the inclines and are you trying to keep your pedalling cadence up on the climbs?
    (If you try to power up grinding away at low cadence you will quickly exhaust yourself....)

How to improve stamina? Cycle more - build up the duration steadily, long low intensity rides builds a base of stamina.
    Ultimately to get good on hills you have to ride a lot of hills but to be OK on hills just needs proper technique and reasonable fitness levels.

PS - you lost 7 kilos in a just a WEEK?
    Why? How?

I was thinking he was grinding but that rarely gets ur heart rate up, I usually notice higher cadence = higher HR. Spinning is Winning ;)

Just keeping working on ur endurance and cardio. Maybe even try road biking and hills...trails are can be pretty dynamic, at least on the road you can practice just the climbing and not be worried about the technical side of mountain biking.

Dont overdo it but be consistent, recovery is where a lot of actual progress is made.

And yeah...that weight loss is too drastic..dont starve yourself and expect to get stronger on the bike.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    allother94 wrote: »
    If you are getting short of breath when exercising, you may have what doctors call out-o-shape-itous. It’s pretty common and takes a few months to cure.

I'm very out of shape, what I don't know is if I can get in shape. 41 years old, knee severely operated, and very out of shape

What makes you think you might not be able to? The knee might limit the activities you do, and your current ability/conditioning will obviously impact what you can do at what intensity, but with consistency your body will adapt, you'll get stronger, and you'll see improvement.