What are your favorite low or no sodium seasonings for meat?

Options
I'm going to be doing my weekly grocery order tomorrow and am interested in trying out some new seasoning options that are both low in sodium and pair well with different meats.

What are some of your personal favorites?

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Cumin, paprika, Montreal steak spice, fresh apples, or onions or mushrooms etc. That's just off the top of my head.

Mind you, perhaps a wet or dry brine before cooking will help add some flavor profile you seem to want. You remove/rinse the salt before cooking, of course.
  • bluej85
    bluej85 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    A slow cooked roast made with dill (dried is fine) doesn't even need salt. Little lifehack I learned when my father had to go low sodium.
  • Safari_Gal_
    Safari_Gal_ Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Herbs de Provence for chicken!
    Harissa - also poultry
    Sage, thyme - poultry

Basil, dill, lemon balm, tarragon, parsley for seafood

Mint, rosemary - lamb

👩‍🍳
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Garlic and onion?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Any herb, depending on what you might be cooking. The wide variety of chiles. So many different flavors to pick from whole or ground.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not personally a fan of mixed seasonings off the shelf except for hamburger seasoning. Most of those are going to have salt as the first ingredient...I'm not sure that makes them anymore high sodium than just putting a bit of salt on your food though...it's not like you're dousing the meat in the seasoning. If you're really worried about sodium, the main culprit there is going to be processed, and particularly ultra processed foods, not really your seasoning or salting a dish a bit.

For meat, poultry, and fish I primarily use a variety of herbs depending on the flavor I'm looking for and the type of meat...also dried chile varieties and pepper.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Black pepper, anything Mrs. Dash, garlic powder or fresh garlic, onion powder and fresh onion, turmeric, paprika, chili powder, parsley fresh or dried, basil fresh or dried. I've started using fresh jalapeno for a number of homemade dishes. It's endless, just start experimenting and find what you like the best and keep using that but continue to experiment!
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also use combinations of many.