Fell off the wagon...help...please!!!!

zfitgal
zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
Hi everyone!!
For the past few months I have been getting heart burn during my exercises. Since quarentine I have joined beach body and have been doing Shaun Ts Insanitymax30 classes. Towards the end of my workout (I do two of them) I feel very bad heart burn and it was beginning to bother me throughout the day. I callee my Dr. He put me on nexium (a ppi). It started to work but I started feeling really bad side affects including gaining weight. He switched me to another and then another. All were not good for me. I.am now sitting on the floor in my room crying. I called.my Dr. today, he told me to get off the medication I'm on right now and that I must be allergic to it. I.am.so bloated! I feel so gross. I went off track yesterday and I felt so gross today I was off again. Im not going to be on this medication anymore and I'm going to eliminate certain things from my diet hoping it heels my acid reflux.

I know I have to get up brush my clothing off and get back on track with diet and exercise. It just seems so hard!! I don't know how mentally to do it. How do I just start again? I look in the mirror and I don't even recognize myself. During this entire quarentine the only thing that kept me sane was my exercise and fitness routine. Without it I really have nothing for me. These past two days I have felt so lost and hurts. I know I need to get up and start again, and once I do I'm sure everything will fall into place. But I feel so blah right now...i feel like an entire different person from who I was a few days ago. ..All I want to do is sit and cry but I know thats the worst thing for me. And at the same time I want to get up and start and get me back again. I just don't feel strong enough. Any advice on how to get back up? Especially when getting back up is in my living room?

Looking forward to your responses!

Replies

• panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Maybe try something gentle like a slow yoga flow, they have some that are specific for digestion. It’s a way to do something good for yourself but also honor that your body and mind may not be ready for more just yet.
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    You tube has some great option for yoga videos, just search yoga for digestion
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    PPIs don't cause weight gain as such. They do make sure you don't pre-digest your food so well by reducing stomach acid. Thus it's possible there's more food in your intestines now.

I used to get really bad reflux when working out. For me it's mostly the silent type. I'd notice it by a yucky taste in my mouth and a hurting throat - and from inhaling stomach acid into the lungs and calling emergency services because I could not breath properly anymore. Silent reflux is a nightmare to cure or at least lighten. PPIs usually don't work too well. I did notice a correlation between my thyroid meds and reflux though: if the medication is too low I get reflux. Now try to explain that to your GP who only looks at TSH measurements and decides it's below 5, thus fine. Well.. I can be persuasive as well.. thus I'm mostly fine nowadays.
  • Beverly2Hansen
    Beverly2Hansen Posts: 378 Member
    Drinking water w/ a small amount of baking soda maybe a 1/2 cup pre workout might help the reflux issue. If you haven't stop eating peanutbutter(really all nut products) and BBQ everything. Removing those 2 things finally got my dads acid reflux in check. Those were definitely some of the worst foods in our house. I would start by doing 1 workout per day for 30 days then add a second.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,403 Member
    Many people, including me, find that their reflux or GERD is aggravated when they reach a certain weight threshold.

I bet you’ve already got a pretty decent idea where it flares up at. Set that as your immediate goal.

A loved one on the other coast is going through a similar Covid weight gain crisis. After talking it out, we’ve begun FaceTiming or screen sharing workouts together. Knowing that I’m there and she can hear me, even if she can’t always see me during a class or a run seems to be helping her get back into gear. Do you have a local friend you can walk bike or run with, or someone you can share an online workout with?

One of our local Pilates instructors has been doing free online classes. I like it because she gives immediate feedback on form and can view attendees and adjust the practice on the fly. It also gives you the sense of immediacy and (how to say) the feeling that there are others still out there and life goes on and not necessarily in a negative way.

Prerecorded classes have their place but right now, the human touch is meaning a lot to me.

I bet if you check Facebook or ask around you’ll find someone doing something similar.

I tried several PPIs when I had the Reflux From Hell. They all stopped working after a few months. Weight loss was the one thing that absolutely positively made it go away. I always thought it was certain types of food triggering it, but discovered (for me) it was solely weight caused. I eat cartons of tomatoes at a time and enjoy spicy foods now with no trouble whatsoever.

I’ve been where @yirara has been. Waking up from a dead sleep, choking, lungs on fire, not being able to catch your breath is terrifying. If for no other reason, I won’t let myself go back to that.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    With regards to reflux: PPI should only be taken for a short period of time as they limit absorption of minerals and vitamins, and especially vitamin B12 which can result in nerve damage and being bed ridden if the deficiency goes on for too long.

It might be worth trying to figure out what causes the reflux: start a food diary and write down what causes a stronger response, then look at single ingredients from the food that caused the problems. Often fatty food, spices, coffee or tea are problematic. However, it could be something completely different. I can eat all these things. My triggers are eggs, low fat cow and vegan dairy, sometimes lean meat and some vegetarian proteins.
  • Allgaun
    Allgaun Posts: 221 Member
    I get really bad acid after eating fruit. I used to be able to eat it but now the only fruits I can eat are bananas and melons.
  • zfitgal
    zfitgal Posts: 478 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    With regards to reflux: PPI should only be taken for a short period of time as they limit absorption of minerals and vitamins, and especially vitamin B12 which can result in nerve damage and being bed ridden if the deficiency goes on for too long.

It might be worth trying to figure out what causes the reflux: start a food diary and write down what causes a stronger response, then look at single ingredients from the food that caused the problems. Often fatty food, spices, coffee or tea are problematic. However, it could be something completely different. I can eat all these things. My triggers are eggs, low fat cow and vegan dairy, sometimes lean meat and some vegetarian proteins.

the only thing that initially activates my reflux is HIIT exercises or jogging, anything where i am up and down. But once its activated everything else seems to bother it. But if I didnt work out, I would be able to eat and drink everything.

The only things that bother me now are anything hot or anything to cold. I feel the heart burn.
    I really want this behind me.

I went through 3 ppis and they were all awful for me....I actually gained weight from prevacid, nexium gave me breatihng issues and prilosec made me have flu like symptoms...I have to do this naturally
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    apple cider vinegar helps some people with bad heart burn. it may help with yours? google for how to dose yourself for this problem but make sure to either add it to water or drink it with a straw so you don't harm your teeth.
  • The_Tyler_project
    The_Tyler_project Posts: 313 Member
    zfitgal wrote: »
    Hi everyone!!
    For the past few months I have been getting heart burn during my exercises. Since quarentine I have joined beach body and have been doing Shaun Ts Insanitymax30 classes. Towards the end of my workout (I do two of them) I feel very bad heart burn and it was beginning to bother me throughout the day. I callee my Dr. He put me on nexium (a ppi). It started to work but I started feeling really bad side affects including gaining weight. He switched me to another and then another. All were not good for me. I.am now sitting on the floor in my room crying. I called.my Dr. today, he told me to get off the medication I'm on right now and that I must be allergic to it. I.am.so bloated! I feel so gross. I went off track yesterday and I felt so gross today I was off again. Im not going to be on this medication anymore and I'm going to eliminate certain things from my diet hoping it heels my acid reflux.

I know I have to get up brush my clothing off and get back on track with diet and exercise. It just seems so hard!! I don't know how mentally to do it. How do I just start again? I look in the mirror and I don't even recognize myself. During this entire quarentine the only thing that kept me sane was my exercise and fitness routine. Without it I really have nothing for me. These past two days I have felt so lost and hurts. I know I need to get up and start again, and once I do I'm sure everything will fall into place. But I feel so blah right now...i feel like an entire different person from who I was a few days ago. ..All I want to do is sit and cry but I know thats the worst thing for me. And at the same time I want to get up and start and get me back again. I just don't feel strong enough. Any advice on how to get back up? Especially when getting back up is in my living room?

Looking forward to your responses!

I fell off as well and I decided to jump back in head first. Don't overthink it. Just do it
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    it is a stressful time and the body reacts to the stress we burry deep inside ourselves to get through this crisis. I too start feeling really out of sorts..not sick..but just not myself. You need to listen to your body. Maybe the extreme exercise is escalating your stress and causing the indigestion... Or, if you're not eating right and then extreme exercising.. it could simply be your diet. Take time to focus on what makes you feel healthy. Eat healthy and find an exercise that leaves you feeling empowered not calling your doctor.
    Also.. for women heart problems mask themselves in symptoms of indigestion. I'm not saying that's the case..but you might want to get that checked out if you feel it is just the exercise causing the problem. But, I'm sure your doctor would have thought of that.