Breastfeeding

Options
lsjs87
lsjs87 Posts: 12 Member
edited May 2020 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi folks, I am currently breastfeeding my 8 month old but also want to lose some weight. My daughter is on solids too and has 3 meals a day. I was aiming for 1450 calories a day and have incorporated some exercise. I'm averaging a loss of 600 calories a day through exercise. I feel my meal plan has been really good, I'm drinking enough and am feeling full after meals but I'm concerned that although I'm eating healthier food for her I'm not eating enough so we are both getting goodness. I also don't want this to affect my milk supply. Anyone have any advice? I'm 5ft 3" and weight 14 stone. My bmi is over 30 and my bmr is 1685 I think. Thanks.

Replies

• lsjs87
    Options
    My calorie intake today with all meals and snacks was only 741
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    As far as I have been told, breastfeeding alone burns 500-800 calories per day. Think about it, your baby is getting calories from you, those have to be coming from somewhere.
    I would then add on at the very least 500 calories to your daily calorie limit, so that you're not starving yourself or in danger of lowering your milk supply.
    Although, if you're eating at a calorie deficit, your milk supply may suffer anyway. I've never breastfed before, but it would make sense that it would work that way, I think.
    I would perhaps speak to a lactation consultant or your doctor for an educated, knowledgeable response.
  • lsjs87
    Options
    Thank you.
  • lsjs87
    Options
    That link was really useful I need to allow 300 calories for her.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you watch your supply and aren't losing too quickly. If that happens add more calories.
  • lsjs87
    Options
    Is there any way of deleting this post now please as I have now used the breastfeeding calculator and know I need to be eating at atleast 2600 a day and then adjust as I plateau as suggested. Thanks everyone for all your help
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I would just turn the notifications off if you don't want to see any future replies because you've gotten the advice you were seeking.
    I know a lot of people frown upon deleting posts because they can contain a lot of helpful information that others might be able to use, even if you don't necessarily need it anymore.
  • lsjs87
    Options
    Ok no.probs. Thanks again.
  • lsjs87
    Options
    True I have used them before myself.
  • kbushe3221
    kbushe3221 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    When I was breastfeeding I was was loosing weight on 1600 calories and no exercise because I had a c-section and was so tired. I had twins so idk if that makes a difference.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    While breastfeeding you should never go below 1800 unless you are sick and can't eat. Even if you feel fine, the milk needs the nutrition.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    kbushe3221 wrote: »
    When I was breastfeeding I was was loosing weight on 1600 calories and no exercise because I had a c-section and was so tired. I had twins so idk if that makes a difference.

breastfeeding twins probably burns a ton of calories!
  • sarahs8705
    sarahs8705 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I’m at the same spot as you! I have a 7.5 month old (2nd baby) and I’m 5’3 200 lbs and looking to lose weight while nursing. What foods are you incorporating to keep up supply whike cutting calories?
  • lsjs87
    Options
    sarahs8705 wrote: »
    I’m at the same spot as you! I have a 7.5 month old (2nd baby) and I’m 5’3 200 lbs and looking to lose weight while nursing. What foods are you incorporating to keep up supply whike cutting calories?

I am eating porridge everyday which is really good for supply. Oats are great for.mixing with yoghurt etc too.
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Also focus on drinking plenty of water/hydrating beverages, that will have a big impact on your supply.

I don't know if otherwise, I'll be much help, I've struggled with oversupply.
  • Be_the_best_me_4_baby_no2
    Options
    This thread has been so useful. I’m currently EBFing a 4.5 month old and want to lose weight. I’ve set my calories to maintenance as I read on here that if you set to maintenance the deficit from feeding will support in losing weight. Going to start tracking from tomorrow. Will keep you posted!