Gaining weight?

I started at 145 pounds and I'm up to 148, I was losing weight (I've been doing a calorie deficit, going for 1.5 hour walks, using the elliptical twice a day for an hour each even horseback riding) but now I'm going up again and I'm beyond confused it doesnt feel fair with the amount I'm doing to be heavier than when I started?

Replies

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    7sdsgo6hhwdk.jpg
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    weight fluctuates - depending on hormones; time of the month; sodium level in food eaten etc
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,108 Member
    edited May 2020
    So you are doing a 1,5 hour walk AND two times 1 hour of elliptical every day and occasional horse riding?

I would say that is a bit excessive, and it could potentially be causing water weight gain.
    And aside from that, you can exercise all you want, but you also have to precisely measure and track your food intake (using a scale) and checking if the food entries you are using are correct. Have you done that?
  • leiadilling
    leiadilling Posts: 5 Member
    Lietchi wrote: »
    So you are doing a 1,5 hour walk AND two times 1 hour of elliptical every day and occasional horse riding?

I would say that is a bit excessive, and it could potentially be causing water weight gain.
    And aside from that, you can exercise all you want, but you also have to measure and track your food intake. Have you been doing that?

First I wanna thank everyone for the fast replies and their help!
    But second yes, since weve been in quarantine I've just been filling my time with activities I've been at it for 3 or 4 weeks now I think? And I've been measuring my food intake too! Along with calories consumed which is why I'm so frustrated I've been keeping myself at around 1800 every day but I think I'm going to need to go down to 1200 since clearly this isnt working lmao
  • deannalfisher

And aside from that, you can exercise all you want, but you also have to measure and track your food intake. Have you been doing that?

But second yes, since weve been in quarantine I've just been filling my time with activities I've been at it for 3 or 4 weeks now I think? And I've been measuring my food intake too! Along with calories consumed which is why I'm so frustrated I've been keeping myself at around 1800 every day but I think I'm going to need to go down to 1200 since clearly this isnt working lmao

are you logging weight every day and looking at trends or was this just a one day point?
  • Go_Deskercise
    1200 is the bare minimum - unless you are very short or elderly, it's probably not for you.

Open up your diary temporarily and people can give you more feedback.
    My guess would be you need to tighten up your logging and your actually eating more than you think you are - happens to pretty much all of us here.

Also assuming you are logging using cups, tbls/tbs, serving sizes on packages ect.??

How tall are you, current weight, goal weight?
  • leiadilling

are you logging weight every day and looking at trends or was this just a one day point?

That's the thing too, I have which is why I'm just so frustrated and lost here I'm borderline turning it into a science and failing to get results, y'know?
    yjh5pz5fakoy.jpg
  • leiadilling
    1200 is the bare minimum - unless you are very short or elderly, it's probably not for you.

Open up your diary temporarily and people can give you more feedback.
    My guess would be you need to tighten up your logging and your actually eating more than you think you are - happens to pretty much all of us here.

Also assuming you are logging using cups, tbls/tbs, serving sizes on packages ect.??

How tall are you, current weight, goal weight?

I forgot that's probably something I should share, I'm 148 and 5 foot 5 inches goal weight would be 140 for now
  • Go_Deskercise
    edited May 2020

I would make sure to accurately log your food/drink intake and use the calorie amount that mfp gives you.

With minimal left to lose, you should be at a .5 per week loss
  • deannalfisher
    when you average those weights out - over the period - your net gain has been .15lb....
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    If you want to lose eight pounds, you're going to have to be spot on with your calorie intake. Get a food scale. Use it religiously. Weigh and log everything.
  • leiadilling
    Alright! From the sounds of it I need to double check my daily calories and not stress so much about it, I'll definitely try to weigh my food out better and worry a little less thank you all so much for your help!! Hopefully I'll see some better results soon 🤞🤞
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

That's the thing too, I have which is why I'm just so frustrated and lost here I'm borderline turning it into a science and failing to get results, y'know?
    yjh5pz5fakoy.jpg

These look like normal fluctuations and maintenance to me. You're only trying to lose 8 Lbs, so it's going to be, and should be slow since you don't have massive fat stores for more rapid weightloss. My guess would also be that you're not using a food scale to determine and log accurate servings of the things you are eating...it's pretty easy to underestimate how much you're eating when you're only talking about a few hundred calories difference between losing weight and maintaining weight...there's not a whole lot of wiggle room.
  • fairestthings
    fairestthings Posts: 335 Member
    If you’re exercising a few times daily then you’re likely not getting enough calories if you’re eating 1800 calories a day. How much do you burn in a day?

You may be triggering your body into a state where it thinks it is starving because you’re exercising for so many hours in your day.

As a 5’1” female who has had to lose 20-40lbs a few times (babies), I can say 1200 calories isn’t sustainable. Sure you’ll lose weight, but you’ll be malnourished (especially if you continue to workout for hours a day) and dehydrated.