Keto Macros

Any one have suggestions for macro rations for keto while also building lean muscle? I’m 155lbs, 5’7, good shape, but trying to lean out in the mid section.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    Are we talking cutting or bulking? Also, what does your lifting program look like? And how long have you been training?

General sense, 20-50g carbs, 150-160g protein, and the remainder fat. I would also probably put most of your carbs pre-workout if possible and have some protein after.
  • davonloeb
    davonloeb Posts: 6 Member
    edited May 2020
    Been training for years. Trying to find a balance between getting lean muscle and cutting some fat. Probably around reps of 8-10, at about 60% of my max.

Macros look like this:
    Off-days:
    Carbs: 50g, Protein: 175g, Fat: 122g
    Lifting-days:
    Carbs: 100g, Protein: 175g, Fat: 100g

2000 calories a day.
  • psuLemon
    The most important part to gain muscle is your training program. What does it look like. Keep in mind, the more trained you are, the less likely you are going to gain muscle while losing weight.

Macros look good.
  • davonloeb
    edited May 2020
    Yeah I think I have to load up on some carbs if I want to gain more muscle.

I lift 4 days a week, push/pull days. Fit as it is, but trying to work on the abs. Think I have to do a bit more cardio and focus on a moderate carb in-take.

Today: pull

Romanian dead lifts: 4x8
    Pull-ups: 3x10
    Bent-over row: 4x8
    Dumbbell Pull-overs: 3x12
    Curls: 3x10/Hammer Curls: 3x10
    Laying Hamstring Curls: 3x10
    Ab work
    5 minutes on the air bike
  • psuLemon
    If you want developed abs, do ab exercises and focus on fat loss. Abs are built in the gym, but revealed in the kitchen.

Overall, your program looks pretty good. As long as you keep getting stronger and intensity is high enough, it doesn't look bad.
  • davonloeb
    Definitely think if I want to gain more strength, I have to down the fat and up the carbs.
  • psuLemon
    davonloeb wrote: »
    Definitely think if I want to gain more strength, I have to down the fat and up the carbs.

Not necessarily. It depends how you respond to being fat adapted. Its also possible that you can just time carbs around your workout to see if that helps. Alternatively, you can look at CKD (this is what I do).
  • davonloeb
    What does CKD stand for?
  • psuLemon
    davonloeb wrote: »
    What does CKD stand for?

Cyclical Ketogenic Diet. You do a structured carb refeed every two weeks where you consume over 300g, eat very low fat and moderate protein. If you look at my Sunday diary, you will see it. It helps with glycogen replenishment. You do this every 2-3 weeks.
  • davonloeb
    Cool! I’ll take a look.