Dietary fat, busting macros..

Options
Hi

As I'm vegan, I'm using protein powder and eating a lot of tempeh to hit my protein goals each day. My macros are set as;

25% protein 25% fat and 50% carbs

I'm currently on a slight deficit of calories to try and reduce body fat % a bit while easing back to running and doing BW training/T25.

Each day I hit or exceed protein but also fat, I'm eating wholefoods so the fat will be from nuts, seeds, tofu and tempeh mostly. Is this a big issue? As long as cals are in check and carbs slightly less?

My goals are to get a bit leaner and stronger and get back to running 5 and 10kms again regularly. Potentially adding some calisthenics as well.

Thanks

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Calories are king when it comes to weight loss - macros more important for feeling full etc
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Each day I hit or exceed protein but also fat, I'm eating wholefoods so the fat will be from nuts, seeds, tofu and tempeh mostly. Is this a big issue? As long as cals are in check and carbs slightly less?

Not an issue as long as cals are in check. Carbs are a non issue...
  • richiechowns
    richiechowns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thanks @deannalfisher @J72FIT

I'm in two minds at the moment, in the recent past I've been a marathon runner to a decent standard, however, now I've lost 4kg of the excess I gained due to stopping training so much, I'd like to add some lean muscle.

I'm 5' 11" and 69kg, around 17% BF from a crude calculation using waist size. What is best to do now, sit at maintenance and do BW training or strip more weight then build slowly?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options

I'm in two minds at the moment, in the recent past I've been a marathon runner to a decent standard, however, now I've lost 4kg of the excess I gained due to stopping training so much, I'd like to add some lean muscle.

I'm 5' 11" and 69kg, around 17% BF from a crude calculation using waist size. What is best to do now, sit at maintenance and do BW training or strip more weight then build slowly?

I can't think of any good reasons to delay body weight/strength training ever :) It's easier to preserve lean muscle while losing weight than to add it back on afterwards.

(Someone more creative will likely come along with some reasons to delay BW, but I doubt they would apply to the OP.)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,164 Member
    Options
    The only possible reasons to care (about being at/over both sensible protein and fat minimums at the expense of carbs) would be if you learn that you're one of the people for whom some certain carb minimum has an impact on energy level or satiation. Those factors tend to be very individualized, it seems. If you're doing the n=1 experiment, and your energy and satiation (and general dietary happiness) are fine, over fats/protein and lower carbs is just fine.
  • richiechowns
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

There is no reason to wait and resistance training will help maximize muscle tissue retention. BTW, all muscle is lean muscle. No such thing as fatty muscle.

Yes a bit daft to say lean muscle, I meant lean mass or body definition or whatever you'd call it.

Basically I've been in great shape marathon training, ab definition etc, but not to a ripped very muscular level. I've seen runners who are ripped and a lot faster than me, so it can be done with strength training, so T25 was the base bit and now it's just deciding what's next.
  • richiechowns
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies, I'm looking at P90x3 and recommend routine at the moment, just purchased a Gravity fitness pull up, dip station thing and until that arrives I have a door hung pull up bar. Going to build my pull up strength and see how that goes while doing push up, dips and weighted squats. I've still 2 weeks of T25 Beta to go and I'm running strong at 5k distance, so all is coming together.